cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 120

Re: New customer - tearing hair out with disconnects!

Not really, many people (myself included) use the Huawei modem and third party router.  The username and password will need to be entered on the TP-Link as that will be handling the PPP session.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 120

My modem just arrived - you mentioned that it might need to be Unlocked? How/why do i do that?
Thanks!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 120

The Openreach modem does not need to be unlocked unless you want to access the connection statistics, otherwise just leave it alone.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 120

@vaderag wrote:
My modem just arrived - you mentioned that it might need to be Unlocked? How/why do i do that?
Thanks!

No, what I said was  "Don't pay extra for an unlocked one though if you decide to take that route, unlocking is trivial if you wish to" As Keith says, it is entirely up to you if you wish to access line stats. http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm  gives instructions.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 120

Thanks guys - will give it a go later 🙂

Is there any way I can use the 2nd port on the modem for anything?

EDIT: Or, slightly random question - is there any issue with running the modem into a switch and then connecting the switch to the router?

Basically, i currently have a few devices going into the hub and then running to my wifi router via a homeplug (which is more central in the house(. With changing out the hub for the modem I lose the extra ports... which will mean getting another homeplug to get the extra devices through to the other room where the router is...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 120

@vaderag wrote:

Thanks guys - will give it a go later 🙂

Is there any way I can use the 2nd port on the modem for anything?

Not unless you unlock it, you then use it to manage the modem and collect stats.

EDIT: Or, slightly random question - is there any issue with running the modem into a switch and then connecting the switch to the router?

Basically, i currently have a few devices going into the hub and then running to my wifi router via a homeplug (which is more central in the house(. With changing out the hub for the modem I lose the extra ports... which will mean getting another homeplug to get the extra devices through to the other room where the router is...

No, you can't run more than one router off the modem (If you connected the switch to the modem it would be in the WAN rather than LAN). You can connect the switch to one of the LAN ports of the router though to increase the number of LAN ports.

Further edit, if you unlocked the modem the second port would be in the LAN so you could connect a switch to that. Haven't tried it, but can't see why not.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 120

Hmm... that's what i feared. Guess i now have a 'physical' routing issue...

Presumably I'd have an issue using powerline adaptors that were 'linked' to route the modem through the wall along side routing the standard network on a different pair too, so would need a different brand to help differentiate...

Can I route TO the modem from the BT wall socket with a RJ45 adaptor using a powerline socket?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 120

powerline adapters need to be all linked as you cannot run 2 different sets of powerline adapters independently

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 120

Just tested my further edit, the switch works fine connected on the second port of the unlocked modem.

Unfortunately, you can only use one pair of powerline adaptors, you can't connect the Modem to the Router using one pair and the Router to the Sitch using another. You can only do one or the other.

If possible, it would be better to run a physical ethernet cable for the Modem to Router connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 120

If you have powerline adaptors with 2 Ethernet sockets, the diagram below MAY work. If they only have one Ethernet socket, a second switch will be needed as per second diagram. Unfortunately the second option uses 3 ports of the switch next to the modem, so a > 4port switch would probably be needed to be of any use.

I can't guarantee it would work, but worth testing if you already have the kit. You could temporarily use the Hub as one of the switches.

NW_0001.jpg

NW_0002.jpg

0 Ratings