cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 120

Re: New customer - tearing hair out with disconnects!

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45416/~/broadband-extender-500-flex

These are the ones i'm using - instructions dont seem to imply there is a master, but maybe there is... the whole thing just seems very confusing!

powerline.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 52 of 120

I guess the difference with my wifi hotspot devices is that the 'master' doesn't have wifi and only one Ethernet port. In essence I can't see the need for a 'master' as all the devices are doing is effectively providing an ethernet interface to mains wiring to be used as a Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 53 of 120

There will be a switch in the master to route to the correct slave.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 120

Reading through the set up guide, there doesn't appear to be the concept of a master and your diagram in message 33 should be fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 55 of 120

@pippincp wrote:

There will be a switch in the master to route to the correct slave.

I don't think so, the instructions don't differentiate between devices.

They don't do any switching or routing, they are just converters allowing duplex Ethernet to travel over 2 wire mains cables.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 56 of 120

@licquorice wrote:

Reading through the set up guide, there doesn't appear to be the concept of a master and your diagram in message 33 should be fine.

Okay, well in that case, I'm going to work on the assumption that my powerlines are okay and as you say, break it down and try gradually establish where this issue is.

I'll start with just the BT hub active, disconnect everything and test the wifi 2ghz (since 5 seems to work already)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 120

Testing with hub only... (i.e. have disconnected the ethernet cable leading to the other router)

2g wifi is still failing:

Failure Start Length
17/11/2017 09:37:47 0:00:11
17/11/2017 09:38:11 0:00:10

5g seems to remain okay...

So, we've eliminated the powerlines causing it. 

2g and 5g seem to have issues on the other router, but still feeling like the issue maybe stems from the hub in some odd manner (as the wifi stays connected but it loses internet)

Any thoughts on next steps?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 58 of 120

Assuming you're being affected by wifi interference you could try changing the channel that your router broadcasts on

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 59 of 120

I don't believe it's interference - it happens with both devices, i've tried different channels and the wifi doesnt drop it just loses internet... also, doesnt seem to matter how far from the device i am.
Final nail, worked absolutely fine with the sky router, and the archer hasn't changed any settings since then...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 60 of 120

Sounds like wifi interference to me. You could grab a copy of inssider to check. Version 3.1.2.1 is the last free version you may find using google
0 Ratings