cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 111 of 120

Re: New customer - tearing hair out with disconnects!

Somewhat bizarrely, over the past couple of days these disconnects seem to have dried up somewhat. They're still happening occasionally, and it's frustrating when it does, but on the whole I'm not seeing anywhere near the same level as I was...

Baffled.

Out of interest (without wanting the exacerbate the issue), can I get the wifi on the Hub and the wifi on my Archer to work together - i.e. boost each other rather than running as separate names?

If i just name them the same is that enough?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 112 of 120

Ironically after posting that I got a drop 😞

I have noticed that even when I turn off WiFi on my BT hub I still have the WifiX and Bt-fon appearing in the wifianalyzer, is there any way to disable these?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 113 of 120

You can only disable BTWifi by opting out of the service. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

From your other post, you can't 'boost' the signal. It is preferable to have the 2 devices on different channels to avoid interference and different SSIDs so that it is obvioius which one you are connected to.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 114 of 120

And will that actually stop it broadcasting from my Hub?

It seems crazy I can disable wifi on the Hub but I can't disable it fully... no wonder everything is so congested!

Can I change the Channel of the BT Wifi-X / Fon ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 115 of 120

Yes, the opt-out will stop it broadcasting but will also stop you using the free wifi hotspots on your mobile when you are out and about.

The BT wifi occupies the same channel as your private wifi. It won't be interfering with it though as it is just a single wireless channel broadcasting 2 discrete networks.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 116 of 120

@licquorice wrote:

Yes, the opt-out will stop it broadcasting but will also stop you using the free wifi hotspots on your mobile when you are out and about.

The BT wifi occupies the same channel as your private wifi. It won't be interfering with it though as it is just a single wireless channel broadcasting 2 discrete networks.

But it will be interfering with the wifi of my Archer (to some degree) - ive disabled the wifi on the BT router to try and improve the Archer signal - i'm on a totally different band for 2g so all good there, but 5g crosses the same bands...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 117 of 120

Agreed, but I thought we had established the problem still ocurred when only one router or the other was switched on at a time.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 118 of 120

@licquorice wrote:

Agreed, but I thought we had established the problem still ocurred when only one router or the other was switched on at a time.

We have. And so we narrowed it down to interference (however unlikely given it only started when I moved to BT) 

And given the Archer is better placed to serve the house with Wifi i want to minimize my effect on the interference by using only that...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 119 of 120

I guess you could always put the Hub in a tin foil lined box!  Smiley Happy

I'm sure there's a simple solution to this somewhere but I really can't think of one.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 120 of 120

@licquorice wrote:

I guess you could always put the Hub in a tin foil lined box!  Smiley Happy

I'm sure there's a simple solution to this somewhere but I really can't think of one.

Ha. I'm willing to try anything right now lol.

0 Ratings