cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 120

New customer - tearing hair out with disconnects!

Just moved from Sky to BT and set up the new Smart Hub 6 that was sent.

It's taken me about 10 attempts to post this because my internet is dropping so frequently.

My setup is a little unusual as I have a second router acting as the Wifi provider, but i'm 99% certain that isn't impacting anything here and the DHCP is still handled by the BT Hub and I've also tried connecting to the BT Hub direct and get the same issue.

I installed NetUptimeMonitor and the results are just shocking... literally drops every few mins, even seconds...

e.g.

Failure Start       Length
30/10/2017 16:08:36 0:00:26
30/10/2017 16:09:27 0:00:07
30/10/2017 16:10:02 0:00:26
30/10/2017 16:10:42 0:00:24
30/10/2017 16:11:46 0:00:09

That is connected directly to the hub.

It appears the issue isn't related to the connection itself as checking the Hub it shows multiple days of stable connection and running the BT connection test comes up fine.

This particular laptop appears to be by far the worst offender, but I am seeing issues with other devices too... for example my Logitech Harmony Hub has been disappearing on occasion and I am seeing disconnects from my Plex Server which I never saw with my Sky hub

I have all my devices set up with a reserved address (trying to eliminate problems) and also changed the root IP of the hub to match my Sky Hub when I first set it up, tho obviously neither of these things should cause any issues...

I have also disabled Smart Setup as believe that can cause issues

I'm really at a loss now. Someone please help!!

0 Ratings
119 REPLIES 119
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 120

Re: New customer - tearing hair out with disconnects!

Have you turned off smart setup on the hub? Address reservation and the DHCP server of the hub does seem to be flaky, you might be better off giving your devices static addresses directly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 120

Yes, smart setup is off.

Most of my devices can't set IP on themselves (e.g. my laptop needs to connect to multiple networks as use it for work, and things like Harmony Hub and my Yeelights don't have that option)

It took me 8 refreshes to load this page to reply. It really is atrocious.

Just to add, I've tried leaving this laption unassigned as well as the static assign and neither make a difference....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 120

You can either try persuading CS that your hub is faulty and get them to send you a new one or, preferably, treat yourself to a decent router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 120

I have a TP Link Archer C9 which I'm using for the Wifi (obv DHCP is off on that) -is there any way I can use that as the hub?

How can BT push this hub if it has so many issues?!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 120

Not stand alone, no, it has no modem and the hub can't be used in modem only mode. You could get an Huawei HG612 modem from ebay though and use that in conjunction with the TP-Link. Don't pay extra for an unlocked one though if you decide to take that route, unlocking is trivial if you wish to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 120

Only if it has a VDSL modem incorporated, which I don't think it has.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 120

So will one of those work out of the box? Do I need to do anything to get a username / password from BT?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 120

It will work out of the box, but username and password are generic on BT, you authenticate against phone number. Username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password is not required but BT can be used for devices that insist on one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 120

Okay, great - i might do just that then and use the Archer C9 for DHCP... are there any issues or concerns I should be aware of before jumping down this path?!

0 Ratings