cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 120

Re: New customer - tearing hair out with disconnects!

Hmm... so i'm running two sets of powerline adaptors indepenently already - at least, i never connected them and one connects to the one it came with and then goes to the router and the other connects from the BT hub to my Router (which i use for wifi)

I'm assuming since i never linked them then by what you guys are saying it shouldnt work!?

BUT - it sounds like I don't need to change that anyway - if I unlock the modem and the second ethernet port on the modem already ends up on lan with the router, then i can just connect the switch straight to that, and all should be good?

Do i need any special steps after unlocking (using the link above) to be able to use the port in that manner?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 120

Thinking about this further, the second port on the modem only becomes part of the LAN when you connect it to a LAN port on the router so is of no real advantage to you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 120

See Important - Using powerline adapters or broadband extenders

That will clarify how they should be connected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 120

So the connection between modem LAN2 and switch port2 is not needed other than to manage the modem. The LAN and WAN should be able to co-exist on the same switch though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 120

Screenshot_4.png

This is what i would like to do, but re-reading that's not going to work...

My current setup is essentially identical to this, except swap modem for BT Hub (and I am using the built in switch on the Hub) - I do actually have a switch sitting there which I was using until I ditched my Philips Hue, but currently not in use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 120

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

See Important - Using powerline adapters or broadband extenders

That will clarify how they should be connected.

I'm now wondering if maybe my powerline setup might be causing some of my issues, but i'm not seeing anything in my hub about crashes, it's uptime is continuous...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 120

The 2 sets of powerlines is probably the cause of your original disconnects, although strange that it worked ok with Sky kit!

Posts crossed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 120

@licquorice wrote:

The 2 sets of powerlines is probably the cause of your original disconnects, although strange that it worked ok with Sky kit!

Posts crossed.

Yep. Maybe you're right... guess i'll order some new BT ones (same as my fastest ones) and see what happens... i'll then connect to the master and go from there. I think that should work as the hub and router are both on network (with router doing DHCP), so if i set the master as the one going in to the router all should be fine.

That said, the disconnects DONT occur on the powerline connected devices (as far as I can tell)!

Just a side point - was reading the unlocking page and it says re. the modem:

"

• There are various cabling options. In the standard setting, the home
    router continues to be connected to the LAN1 socket on the Huawei for
    'fast bridging'. A second cable from the home router plugs into LAN2 on
    the Huawei. This allows internet connectivity at the same time as access to
    the Huawei's web interface. Different cable configurations can be selected
    through the web interface.

Does anyone know what the variances are here? Maybe one would work with my desired setup?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 120

If you used a master and 2 slaves, you could fit the master at the router, slave 1 at the modem and slave 2 upstairs with a switch.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 120

@vaderag wrote:

This is what i would like to do, but re-reading that's not going to work...

My current setup is essentially identical to this, except swap modem for BT Hub (and I am using the built in switch on the Hub) - I do actually have a switch sitting there which I was using until I ditched my Philips Hue, but currently not in use.

That will not work, all your powerline adapters have to start from your router, as shown on my web page.

Connect the Openreach modem directly to your router, then connect one master powerline adapter to it, and then slave any others to that master adapter.

If you need more connections in the lounge or dining room, then a cheap Ethernet switch can be added at the far end.

If you have BT YouView, and the extra channels, then you may have to use a managed Ethernet switch instead.

LAN2 on the Openreach modem cannot be used the way you describe.

0 Ratings