cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 81 of 120

Re: New customer - tearing hair out with disconnects!

I'm trying to think of this from another angle... lets say it's not the hub or the wiring setup (we seem to have either eliminated or randomly the same issue has developed in both my routers)

If it's not the hub then it's the machines. Nothing has really changed on the machines - one is a work laptop tho so perhaps some settings / policies have changed without me knowing. The other is our laptop and obv has had standard windows 10 updates. I've also seen it on my phone, but less frequently (due to sporadic phone usage and no real way to test)

So... maybe it's an update thing.

What kind of changes could be made that would make the devices disconnect like this? I've checked the power settings for the adaptor and it's not allowed to be shut off...

Anything else?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 82 of 120

If it is only wifi that is giving the problem and not Ethernet it would point to interference. Have you changed anything electrical in the house?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 83 of 120

@licquorice wrote:

If it is only wifi that is giving the problem and not Ethernet it would point to interference. Have you changed anything electrical in the house?

Nothing significant since I swapped to BT...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 84 of 120

If you leave wifi analyzer running on your phone it will produce a graph of the signals, might be interesting to see if that throws up any insights as to what is happening.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 85 of 120

So I've done that for all 4 networks and i didn't notice any drop outs while connected and all seemed fine (on my phone)

Meanwhile, my laptops are happily disconnecting:

Screenshot_20171117-150835.pngScreenshot_20171117-150740.pngScreenshot_20171117-150724.pngScreenshot_20171117-150814.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 86 of 120

So that would appear to rule out the actual transmitted wifi signal dropping. Have you tried updating the drivers on your laptops, from the manufacturer's site rather than Windows?

Edit. The signal level seems rather low on all 4 channels, I would expect it to be up around the -30 mark if you were anywhere near the router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 87 of 120

@licquorice wrote:

So that would appear to rule out the actual transmitted wifi signal dropping. Have you tried updating the drivers on your laptops, from the manufacturer's site rather than Windows?

Edit. The signal level seems rather low on all 4 channels, I would expect it to be up around the -30 mark if you were anywhere near the router.

I'm a couple of rooms away up stairs - maybe 8m and 3 walls/floors

(further away from HarleysPlace than BTHub ones, you can knock a wall out for the BTHub)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 88 of 120

Fair enough then. Do you still get the drops when you are closer?

You are getting pretty much on the limit of reliable connection at those signal levels.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 89 of 120

Yes - when I was testing earlier today I was sitting 2m away in the same room

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 90 of 120

Final straw to clutch at, you could try a cheap wifi dongle instead of the wifi adaptor in your laptops.

0 Ratings