Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

New customer, v.low speeds. faster to connect to my nextdoor neighbours BtFON

Hi all.

As mentioned we are new customers to BT.

We only have one telephone socket in the house (the master). Which is connected direct to the incoming phone line.

We don't have a house phone.

The HomeHub 4 is connected into the test socket.

The hubs downspeed is 2mb and i am receiving 1.8mb over wireless (i know wireless is slower than wired).

If i connect to my nextdoor neighbours BtFon i can get about 3.6. We are far away from the exchange but is there anything i can do? We are unable to use iPlayer at such bad speeds. We keep checking when BT infinity is going to arrive but for the past 4 months it just says end of June.... end of July.... end of August.... end of Sept etc.

Any help is very very much appreciated.

Max

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: New customer, v.low speeds. faster to connect to my nextdoor neighbours BtFON

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs or WAN and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

I see you don't have a phone but it would really help if you were able to try the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: New customer, v.low speeds. faster to connect to my nextdoor neighbours BtFON

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Wan LOG:

12:53:39, 07 Oct.( 434.120000) DSL noise margin: 12.00 dB upstream, 6.20 dB downstream
12:53:39, 07 Oct.( 434.050000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2048 Kbps downstream

Also in the complete log there is all this:

13:35:09, 07 Oct.IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP 111.249.119.14:12200-​>109.145.217.109:443 on ppp0)
13:35:09, 07 Oct.IN: BLOCK [15] Default policy (UDP 58.39.124.78:53-​>109.145.217.109:45713 on ppp0)
13:32:45, 07 Oct.BLOCKED 1 more packets (because of Default policy)
13:32:45, 07 Oct.IN: BLOCK [15] Default policy (TCP 74.125.230.95:443-​>109.145.217.109:63306 on ppp0)
13:32:35, 07 Oct.BLOCKED 1 more packets (because of Default policy)
13:32:34, 07 Oct.IN: BLOCK [15] Default policy (TCP 74.125.230.68:443-​>109.145.217.109:63385 on ppp0)
13:32:29, 07 Oct.BLOCKED 1 more packets (because of Default policy)

Is this normal? It appears to be blocking stuff constantly?

I will disconnect my phone from wifi and go grab an ethernet cable and do the btspeedtest now.

Once again thanks for you quick help 🙂 impressive 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1.76 Mbps

0 Mbps2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.76 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.81 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.38 Mbps

0 Mbps0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.38Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Telephone Number 0~~~~~~~~~~~ on Exchange DARWEN is served by Cabinet 15

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean)60.143.216.810.7--30-Sep-15
FTTC Range B (Impacted)51.429.416.87.7--30-Sep-15

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4.5--3 to 9Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1 to 4Available
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------30-Sep-15
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

you are on adslmax with an estimate of up to 2.5mb connection speed and you have a 2mb connection speed with your noise margin about normal 6db.  there is not much more scope for speed increase on adslmax

your exchange has been upgraded to adsl2/2+ which may give you a slightly faster down connection speed but would give roughly 100% increase in upload speed.  the downside is that adsl2 is far more aggressive on any line noise which is more likely on long lines

you could see if mods could get you moved to adsl2 bearing in mind potential problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the reply. As i understood the way BTFON/Openzone works is that any user only gets 10% of the bandwidth. If i am getting dl speeds of over 2mb on my neighbours does that not mean their speed is much greater than that? i.e. higher than 4.5!

When you say ADSL2 is more aggressive on line noise are there any margins for this? Is there anyway i can measure my line noise and see if it is in an acceptable ADSL2 line noise margin?

Unfortunately i think we are very far from the exchange, so in your proffessional opinion do you not think its worth while?

It is hard dealing with such a bad speed after moving from a property with a 60mb fibre connection :'(

Thanks for your help.

Max
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

It is possible to achieve a maximum speed of 8MB on BT Wifi however this is only available from a premium hot spot not a Home Hub hot spot.  The speed one can achieve accessing a hot spot provided from a BT Home Hub is 512 Kbits on an ADSL connection and a max of 3MB on ADSL2   so looks like your neighbour is on adls2

there is no real measure but if your current is stable, which is hard to tell as new conenction, then that would be a guide.  but it is not always the case that a good adsl connection will be just as good on adsl2 - but could be with some effort.

you may get a slightly faster conenction speed but certainly a faster upload speed which if you use cloud or onedrive or dropbox would be a big help

I am only a customer like you so choice is yours

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Okay doke. I will wait 10 days to get over the settling down period then re assess the situation.

Do i just pm one of the MODs and ask to be changed to ADSL2?

Also, any ideas on what all the blocked packets were?

Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

I think waiting out the training period is best and see if line improves  should you decide to ask mod to see if they can organise change to adsl2 you need to post back as you cannot PM the mods - they do not reply to PM

the router block are not a problem

0 Ratings