cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grantsmith82
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

New draytek / sync

I want to be able to check my sync speed I understand this can't be done with the by modem or hh3. So was looking at getting a Draytek vigor 2750. Anyone had experience with these ? Much better than bt modem/hub? Any small increase in speed ?

Also is the infinity profiling (dlm?) active all time or just the initial 10 day period? As wife accidentally unplugged modem for few mins today to hoover which now on btspeed checker lowered my profile by a meg or so. Will this naturally raise up again after a day or so stable connection? Also worried about loosing sync rate during time the modem is changed. As read some people profile get stuck on lower sync
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
astar27
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: New draytek / sync

a meg or so, is nothing to worry about. It's hard to say what infinity will sync at its rate adaptive so depends on the condition of the line at that particular time. Your profile isn't set to anything, it can be anything, it's about 98% of your actual sync speed
0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 3 of 12

Like ADSL, VDSL2 sees the noise margin rise in the evening and fall in the morning, this is mainly due to more noise on the line in the evening and early night coming from street lights and houses.

It's an old trick if you want the top speed for your line you should reset it at 9-10am or if you want a bit of stability reset it at midnight with a slightly lower speed.

The occasional reset won't matter, VDSL2 lines will drop occasionally anyways for various reasons, repeated drops may see a small loss in speed and a slight interleave of 8ms may be applied but the DLM will removed them at a later time if the line settles down.

As for the Draytek I bought one at the time where there was all the problems with the OR modem and I needed some advanced features like port forwarding that worked and I use the FTP server built into the router as well as QoS settings.

If you really want to go for the draytek read the manual avaliable online to see if you want all the features it offers as at £160 it is not cheap, or you could just ditch the Home Hub and get something like the ASUS RT-N56U which is currently only £85 and will happilt work with FTTC, FTTP when it rolls out or even Cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
grantsmith82
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

i tried giving a reset and 10 am this morning  and did a recheck with btseed tester.  my line profile now dropped from 31.1 to 28.54  😞

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 5 of 12

What was the speed estimate you were given when you signed up?

2 things may also be happening:

If it is a new cabinet coming online a lot of people may be hooked up in a short while and crosstalk may be happening dropping your line synch slightly if a lot of people are being hooked up in a short while.

The weather it has gone from being really really cold to really realy hot, this will have an effect on the line and you may just be seeing what happens with rapid thermal changes.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@grantsmith82 wrote:
I want to be able to check my sync speed I understand this can't be done with the by modem or hh3. So was looking at getting a Draytek vigor 2750. Anyone had experience with these ? Much better than bt modem/hub? Any small increase in speed ?

Also is the infinity profiling (dlm?) active all time or just the initial 10 day period? As wife accidentally unplugged modem for few mins today to hoover which now on btspeed checker lowered my profile by a meg or so. Will this naturally raise up again after a day or so stable connection? Also worried about loosing sync rate during time the modem is changed. As read some people profile get stuck on lower sync

I have had a Draytek 2750n for the last 5 months and it works well on my stable line which is connected to a Huawei DSLAM but so did the HG612 and HH3. Openreach also use ECI DSLAMs in some areas (normally you can tell which you have by looking at the base of the OR modem and seeing who made it) and there have been reports of issues with ECI lines. There have also been reports of difficulties in getting the router to sync on slower lines but Draytek have introduced new firmware which seems to have solved these. I don't think it will sync at a higher speed than the HG612 modem Openreach supply as it supposedly uses the same Broadcom chip (my line syncs at the 79994 kbps down and 20000 kbps up but the estimated max line speed is slightly slower). 

The 2750n does provide line stats but there are ways of getting those from an Openreach modem though of course no one would hack those would they Smiley Wink. It also has 4 gigabit ports that I need and is much more configurable which is useful if you need that flexibility but the instructions require you to know what you are doing. Of course BT will not support a line with a replacement modem so if I need support I would need to refit the normal modem and router.

DLM is always active on the line. A single disconnection is not likely to cause issues as the system is set to respond to a pattern of disconnections. Unless you are downloading the internet over a limited time absolute speeds are pretty meaningless as it is difficult to use the capacity in normal use - 80Mbps = 16 simultanous BBC iplayer HD feeds.

0 Ratings
grantsmith82
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

When I signed up last sep on infinity1(40meg) I was predicted 26.6 down 6up After 1week of issues I eventually got 30 up and 5 down Stable till recent would peak to 32mb down at off peak times Now website says 44 down 8 up (infinity2) However since start may haven't had any increase Had engineers out but no one can do anything Had 2 visits last fri and sat. They changed line from pile into my house and also put me on a Better line from top of the pole. However the engineer couldn't (wouldn't ) get profile reset After work was done on line there littler home said my line gone from maxing at 36mb upto 40mb however it's sync At 28mb it had gone up a meg from testing 30mins before at 27ishmb However never gone past line profile of 31 on by speed test And those quick reboot of modem/router knocked it down. Now line profile of 28.51 But the Dlm doesn't seem to be raising it back up I would also of thought after having lot of disconnects from various engineer visits they should reset profile ??
0 Ratings
grantsmith82
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

should get my draytek tomororw.   managed to get one from ebay for about £100.  are they easy to setup with btsettings?

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

I use my bt yahoo email address and PW without problems in the PPPoE settings.

Pictures below:

WAN_settings.jpg

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

WAN_muliilan.jpg

0 Ratings