cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AMRR
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

New email provider

I have had  BT broadband for the last 15 years and my internet address is ***@btinternet.com.

I have had enough of BT mail - it is absolutely hopeless and I am at the end of my tether with it.

If I buy a copy of Outlook from microsoft can I rejig my settings so that my emails are delivered to me via Outlook and I still retain my current email address? If so , how?

p.s. I'm not very computer literate and would like an easy way forward. thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: New email provider

As I understand your question, you wish to move from using webmail (using a browser to collect your mail) to a mail client such as MSOutlook to collect your mail but keep your xxxx@btinternet.com email address. Yes this is entirely possible and is a much superior method of dealing with mail. However, there are free alternatives to MS Outlook should you wish to investigate them. Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Claws Mail and EMClient to name a few. Once you have decided which client to opt for, post back and configuration instructions can be given. All are straightforward to set up.

AMRR
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

thanks Licquorice.

I only know about Outlook - which is why I mentioned it.

Could you recommend which of the free ones it would be worth downloading? I went on a comparison website and emclient got a good write up and looks pretty swish. Would you think that's a good choice?

The only other thing I need to consider is that I have loads of old emails that I would like to keep - so on BT mail, it sees over 3000 in my inbox. Will emclient access all of those and allow me to see them when I want? I would like to have them all saved on my hard disk as back up but don't know if thats possible.

Could you tell me what settings I need after downloading the software?

Thanks again :))

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Thunderbird is very good, and allows local copies and archiving.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

This is an example of the screen display.

thunimage.jpg

These are the settings, which are still correct I think.

Incoming settings for Imap (recommended) IMAP will download all folders from BT Mail, and you can use the archive feature to backup important messages to your computer (remember to backup your computer !)

newmail1.jpg

Outgoing server (SMTP)

newmail2.jpg

You can add extra accounts like Gmail, and copy or move messages from one to another.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Its all a question of personal taste/choice. I use Thunderbird as a newsreader but I don't like it as a mail client (I use MSOutlook 2010). If I had to use a free client I would prefer EMClient to Thunderbird. The settings will be the same whatever client you use. Account config screens below.

emc1.jpgemc2.jpgemc3.jpg

0 Ratings