cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 36

Re: New exchange doesn't quite reach me - what can I do?

The distance to the cabinet, regardless of where it is installed, is what counts with VDSL. As the OP is 3 miles from the exchange, if a cabinet was installed inside or outside it he is still 3 miles away which is too far for VDSL.

0 Ratings
NewtronStar
Expert
Message 22 of 36

Did the OP say he/we live close to a recently connected exchange in Fundenhall, Norfolk of course he not say give the distance I just took it as close to meen 30 meters that's what I call close
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 36

See message 9

0 Ratings
carmor
Beginner
Message 24 of 36

that's great advice James-C. i'll do that now, and aside from cross my fingers and hope for the best, I think we may have exhausted this one. 

thanks all. 

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 36

See the Fibre Technology section about two thirds of the way down this page for info on Exchange Only (EO) lines.
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

As others have said though, even if Openreach connect the line to an FTTC service in or outside the exchange there will still be 3 miles of copper to the home. Over that distance the VDSL service might be slower than ADSL or non-existent.

The only glimmer of hope I can think of is some references the BT Group have recently made to testing 'long reach VDSL' technologies as a possible solution in that type of situation in future.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 36

also OFCOM do not allow fibre DSLAMS in the exchange building due to generated interference that can affect other exchange equipment they have to be in screened cabinets outside the exchange building
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 36

Note though that even with 'long reach VDSL' they are talking about trying to meet the minimum of 5 to 10Mbps to each home that they have agreed to in principle with the govt.

So probably best to forget any ideas of 76Mbps using that technology. 😞
0 Ratings
NewtronStar
Expert
Message 28 of 36

@john46 wrote:
also OFCOM do not allow fibre DSLAMS in the exchange building due to generated interference that can affect other exchange equipment they have to be in screened cabinets outside the exchange building
John it is not a big Huawei 288 cabinet sitting inside the exchange LOL it's only a small one it can fit into a medium size server rack with cooling fans and interference is negligible compaired to the standard crosstalk we see on most FTTC lines.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 36

I did not say it was a large dslam just that Under OFCOM and ITU rules fibre dslams cannot be installed inside exchange buildings due to wideband radio frequency interference generated which affects other exchange equipment
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 36

@carmor

There is another option that could be used if you are that far from the exchange and that is to have a combined cabinet installed in, or close to, your village. 

0 Ratings