cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianhes
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 36

Re: New exchange doesn't quite reach me - what can I do?

Welcome to the 5% club. In a relatively similar position, connected to a cabinet, but all the cabinets are in the town within a few hundred yards of the exchange. Can see the exchange from the front door, but its 4km for the cable run, so I'm too remote for the Superfast Scotland project to do much for me, so after 4years of promises, its another 4 year wait to maybe get 10mb,

0 Ratings
carmor
Beginner
Message 32 of 36

Hi all, and Merry Christmas to you. Hope you had a great start to your festivities. 

Have a bit of time off now, so my thoughts have shifted to the home broadband once more! I wonder if someone might be able to put me out of my misery on one point...

I understand completely that the further we are away from the exchange, the weaker the broadband would be, but that doesn't seem to explain why just up the road - we're talking around 200 metres - they are registering 32MB+ and 78MB+ BT readings (as per image again). 

So close, yet so far away, it seems!

I do really appreciate you all walking me through this, and as you can tell, I just can't come to terms with the acceptance of slow broadband! 

Thanks 

Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 19.21.20.png

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 36

With Infinity (VDSL) broadband it does not matter how far you are from the exchange. What matters is how far you are from the fibre cabinet, because the signal goes along fibre to the cabinet then copper from the cabinet to the premises hence the FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet)

In your instance you are connected directly to the exchange. This means that you can not get fibre because you are not connected to a fibre cabinet. Your neighbours are not connected to the exchange, they are connected to a fibre cabinet which will be near by their house.

If Openreach were to install a fibre cabinet outside the exchange (they are not allowed to install them inside the exchange) your would still not be able to get Infinity because the cable run from the cabinet to your home would still be the three miles that you are from the exchange and this is too far for the VDSL signal to travel.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 36

Looking on streetview, there appears to be a cabinet outside the primary school which I presume those with the higher speeds are connected to, whereas your connection is directly from the exchange. Before you ask, no it's not possible to re-arrange where you are connected, that is dependant on the infrastructure cabling of the area.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 36

@carmor

As I said before, Openreach MAY install cabinet near to you as they have done in our village.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 36

@carmor

this checker is more accurate and the one used when you place an order for any type of broadband servicehttp://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
0 Ratings