cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carmor
Beginner
Message 1 of 36

New exchange doesn't quite reach me - what can I do?

We live close to a recently connected exchange in Fundenhall, Norfolk. We were so looking forward to switching over to BT, which we're in the process of doing, and taking advantage of the new speeds up to 76MB. We're currently averaging about 2MB, which feels like the dark ages. 

You can see from the below how close we are; we're just near the 2.93MB result, and only round the corner from the 78.62MB result. 

This has been shattering news, without trying to sound too dramatic. 

What would everyone suggest I do? Is there some way of connecting to the exchange? A department I could speak to? 

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 19.21.20.png

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: New exchange doesn't quite reach me - what can I do?

In order to get BT Infinity you need to be connected to a fibre enabled cabinet.  If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. If you post the results they will be explained to you. Remove your phone number or address before posting them.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

Sometime in the future Openreach may install a cabinet out side the exchange and this will allow EO lines to connect to a cabinet. This however is not high on their priority list so may take some time.

Use your phone number. If you don't have a BT number use the address checker. It is more accurate than the post code checker which can cover more than one cabinet.

If you are not on a fibre enabled cabinet Openreach will not move your individual line to another cabinet to enable you to get fibre.

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 36

Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only line which will mean you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.
0 Ratings
carmor
Beginner
Message 4 of 36

Thanks so much for the swift reply, gg30340!

I've had a look, and I have to say, I can't make much sense of it. It doesn't appear promising though. Does it mean more to you? 

availability checker.png

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

Looks like you are on an Exchange Only line which means no Infinity for you. Openreach or your local BDUK may at some point put a cabinet out side the exchange and connect you to it but if you are a long distance from the exchange it will not deliver the top speed of 78Mbps.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 36

As already said as there is no cab number then your are EO and that explains why no fibre available to you - yet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
carmor
Beginner
Message 7 of 36

Oh no! Devastating... Do you happen to know whether there is some way of registering interest to have Openreach added near you?

Thanks again for the replies
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 36

as you are on an exchange only line all you can do is to keep using the checker although if you are a long way from your exchange even when a cabinet is placed there you may still not get infinity

Openreach are the network provider you cannot have them added they already provide and maintain your phone line and present broadband service
0 Ratings
carmor
Beginner
Message 9 of 36

We're about 3 miles John46 - too far, would you think? I'll keep checking back - it does say something about completing the work by 21st Dec
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

If you are 3 miles from the exchange even if they put a cabinet at the exchange you are too far for Infinity.

0 Ratings