Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveC84
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New infinity customer-Low speed issues

Go to solution

Hi everyone, i had infinity fitted thursday. Im paying for the top package 40 download 10 upload.

I only live 0.6 miles away from the exchange and the distribution phonebox is just outside my flat. The engineer said because of this there should not be any deterioration in the speeds and have a perfect sync.

So we did the test and you guessed it wasn't a perfect sync. It showed 210000 as opposed to 410000 I think. We set the laptop up and tried the wireless speed at speedtest.net. The results were 6mb down and 7mb upload. Even the engineer said that was rubbish. So I plugged the cable in and tried it that way and I was getting 36 download and 8 upload. I did the test like 10 times and it was consistent at 36-8. So I was over the moon with that. Even though I was disappointed with the wireless with the cable in i could get 36-8. Even the engineer said he was surprised at the speed as the sync test wasnt perfect. :s

Since then ive not had 36-8 again. The best ive had since is 16 download and 8 upload. Thats with the cable plugged in and at off peak times. I tried the speedtest.net tonight around midnight (wireless this time) and i was only getting 1mb and 0.5 upload. I mean surely that cant be right? Also i have had 36-8 speeds ( even if it was for an hour) but that does mean that i  can get those speeds right?

The engineer said if i had more than one phoneline he could fiddle around a little but as i only have one he said theres nothing he could do to improve it. He also said that the distribution box outside the flat shares connectivity through the community? Something like that anyway so i  asked him to elaborate. He said all companies do it and it is a bit cheeky. So does that mean that ive just improved all my neighbours internet speeds? Even though im the donut paying 40 pounds a month?. I wouldnt mind if i got my fair share but getting 6-10 mb download and 2 mb upload at on peak times surely unacceptable?

Anyway before i called them i wanted to see what you guys the experts thought. If its normal or not. Also how reliable is Speedtest.net? I mean one moment im geting 16 mb then 5 minutes later im back to 5-7 mb..

Its just all so inconsistent at the moment and am wondering if its like this with anyone else and what they did to improve it.

Many thanks and look forward to hearing your answers 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New infinity customer-Low speed issues

Go to solution
Regarding wireless performance - you might need to purchase a wireless N adaptor if you're currently using wireless G standard 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DaveC84
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
**bleep** iPhone, I'll re-post at home. It's missing 2 thirds of the post . Edit: @Webby thanks for the quick reply I'll re-post the rest at home and see what you think then, thanks mate.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Haha I was a little confused at what seemed like a half-post 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DaveC84
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Ok edited the original post and added the rest of the post. 🙂

@Webby how do i know if i have wireless g standard? And where and how much is the wireless n adaptor?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
If you press ctrl alt and delete all at the same time and click the network tab on the window that's open you'll see the wireless conncection. If in the same room as the hub and the connection speed doesn't exceed 54Mbps, you're on wireless g. Any computer shop or online. I got a 150Mbps edimax N adaptor for about 11 quid including delivery 😄
DaveC84
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Ok i pressed 'mark as accepted solution' because you're right i am using a g standard 56 mbps. The adaptor should improve the wireless 🙂

But im still not getting full speeds. Right now im getting 16mb download. Any ideas?  Ok i have made one discovery that the misses pointed out, i do have 2 phone lines. I told the engineer i only had 1 so he told me there was nothing he could do to improve speeds. Shall i ask for an engineer to come out?

Also i have received 36 mb download even if it has been for an hour or so, so that does mean that i can get those speeds right? And having the other phoneline can that affect the speed so much?

0 Ratings