cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

New infinity installation

I want to have my new HH 5 installed away from the current master socket however there is no way cable can be run internally to the new site due to concrete floors etc. Ideally the cable would be run up one side of the house, through the loft and down the other side. My questions are:
1. Would the BT engineer do this for me?
2. If not could I run the cable through the loft and leave both ends unterminated for the engineer to fix?
3. What sort of cable should I use. Telephone cable or CAT5e?

I would estimate that the total run would be around 30m.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: New infinity installation

I have just had BT sport and infinity installed and had to have a cable run across my carpet and under rug. Engineer did offer to clip it to walls but it would look awful. However i doubt they have a 30m cable, the max was 10m.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

@Blanklook wrote:
I want to have my new HH 5 installed away from the current master socket however there is no way cable can be run internally to the new site due to concrete floors etc. Ideally the cable would be run up one side of the house, through the loft and down the other side. My questions are:
1. Would the BT engineer do this for me?
I doubt they would run it through the loft and depending on whether it is a contractor or BT engineer you might have a problem getting them to drill hole through wall to outside.
2. If not could I run the cable through the loft and leave both ends unterminated for the engineer to fix?
If you run the cable the engineer should be OK using it but would not guarantee that they won't moan about it. You could always connect it up later.
3. What sort of cable should I use. Telephone cable or CAT5e?
Cat5e would be fine.

I would estimate that the total run would be around 30m.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the replies. Time marched on and I could not get hold of any external cat5e cable so have run some external telephone wire. Do the engineers typically have an issue drilling through external walls? I can probably do that bit too - how much space would the new socket box require - is it larger than the current style box?
Thanks for all your help
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@Blanklook wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Time marched on and I could not get hold of any external cat5e cable so have run some external telephone wire. Do the engineers typically have an issue drilling through external walls? Contractors generally will not do it. They get paid per job so want to be in and out as quickly as possible so are not very helpful. Openreach engineers are more helpfully but depending on the type of walls etc may not drill.
I can probably do that bit too - how much space would the new socket box require - is it larger than the current style box? It's the same size as a normal BT master socket box
 Thanks for all your help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thanks of the reply. I will drill the hole then and leave about 1 foot of cable inside. I have bough 4 core telephone cable - is it possible to use 2 pairs to drive the new master socket and then take two back from there for a slave socket to be used for the phone?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Well the engineers came round this morning. Very helpful got the new master socket where I wanted it using the cable I had pre -placed through the loft. They were not able to back wire into the old socket but not a big deal just have moved the phone.
Thanks for all the help
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Good result, thanks for posting back.

0 Ratings