cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

New infinity not working

Go to solution

i have had numerous issues since swapping over from Sky to BT although when I got home this evening and my hub had finally arrived so I plugged it in and waited...... to be greeted by a flashing red light. I made yet another call to the office and they conducted some tests to which they got a 'green response' and I dug out an old phone which got a dial tone and was able to make an outbound call.

BT won't send out an engineer until I provisionally agree to pay £130 should the fault be in my property - even though the line worked before and the tests are clear. I am reluctant agree to pay for work before someone even comes out to have a look as I have had the same issue with BT previously and struggled to get the money back as anything more than a credit on my account. Can anyone shed any light on potential problems or anything I could check myself?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New infinity not working

Go to solution

If you use the test socket with a new filter and router still red/flashing red then it would suggest problem outside your home and should not be charged  you need to agree to pay the charge if problem due to your setup or wiring before you will get engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for your response. They didn't send a filter. I have a grey DSL lead which plugs into an open reach MK3 socket which has a port for a DSL lead as well as a phone. I have used it as described but also tried via my old sky micro filter. I also tried it on the other phone socket in the hall and all with no joy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

With MK3 socket broadband will only work in that socket unless engineer wired data extension

You can use the filter in the test socket shown here with black arrow 

test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

when I undid the mk3 socket cover the mk3 seems to be an extension of another socket behind it which is fixed directly to the wall. I have tried both 'test' sockets and both had the same results. Are you saying that this socket simply isn't capable of accepting BT infinity? The reason we moved to BT was that sky was too slow and BT fibre was cheaper.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

What I said was if you have a mk3 then your broadband will only work in this socket and to get an extension to work you need to wire extension socket to yellow arrow terminals

test-socket-thumb.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Ok, thank you. I have taken the socket off to check the wiring

white with blue stripe - A

blue - bottom terminal B

orange - loose

white with yellow stripe/green/white with green stripe wrapped abound cable unused.

when we had an engineer out previously He tried to improve the connection by making the socket in our lounge the master socket as that's where the router is plugged in. The socket in the bedroom was disconnected and the one in the hallway was bypassed (2 cables with blue/white&able are crimped together) so the actual socket isn't live.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

So if you have tried the test socket and you have a dialtone but no broadband then you need engineer visit and phone customer service 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

thank you for your help - I have now sorted it. There are 4 sockets in the flat

main bedroom

hallway

lounge

kitchen

the last BT man to come around apparently rewired things to make the lounge the master socket. When I took the 3 (not inc kitchen) off the wall the other 2 were disconnected. He had crimped the blue/white&able/orange in the bedroom to create an extension but in the hallway he had not extended the orange so therefore it was missing in the lounge.

the only socket that he didn't 'rewire' was the kitchen as my girlfriend forgot it was there so I plugged it in and it was working in seconds. BT will be getting a call tomorrow to send round an engineer to rectify their mistakes.

Again, thank you for your help.

0 Ratings