cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shrews
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New installation but somethings not right

I moved into a new build property last month and after quite a battle finally managed to get a BT engineer out to install the new line which was fitted this morning.

I know from a family member who lives in another new build property thats a few hundred meters further away from the exchange than us that they're capable of syncing at speeds of 4500 - 5000 kbps, I however can't sync to a speed higher than 2600.

I mentioned this to the openreach engineer who was present and he said it could be something set incorrectly in the exchange but said he couldnt help, he did however say the line was really good and should be capable of speeds much higher than this.

my line stats are 

13:28:24, 16 Dec. ( 498.820000) DSL noise margin: 15.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream

13:28:24, 16 Dec. ( 498.750000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2592 Kbps downstream

Having googled online its hard to interpret what these stats might represent, I accept this is a new line and things will take time to bed in but my understanding was that this was usually on an IP Profile basis and not an interference with the Sync rate its self. 

NB These stats are with me connected directly to the test socket as it transpires there are some internal wiring issues that force me to sync at less than 1mbps and I will stay connected to the test socket until the builders have addressed the internal issue, however this doesnt change the fact that Im pretty certain I should be syncing at a much faster rate.

If anyone could offer any advice id be very grateful.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: New installation but somethings not right

It may take up to 10 days for the line to fully stabilise, as it would be in a training period. In the training period, the line is allowed to run with no caps, to find the best "stable" ranges that it supports.

I appreciate this might not work, but could you enter your phone number (for the new line) into this checker and post results here? Make sure to delete the number when you post them: http://dslchecker.bt.com
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

if there are internal wiring problems is it possible that there is a socket somewhere that is wired before the master socket - you could check with a phone if all your other sockets are 'dead' no dialtone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shrews
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Ive gone on the link and get the following output

bt.png

Fairly certain this is the master socket, its closest to the door and the BT guy said the wiring from the outside was going into the back so would assume they'd know mid way through wiring if that was or wasnt the correct socket?

When running with the wiring connected I found that one of the other downstairs sockets said "no line" on the phone which adds weight to the fact im sure theres some big internal problems.

Again at the moment Im running with the test socket so all internal wiring should be disconnected, im just concerned the sync rate is way to low for what it should be.

The builder are sending the electrician around later, I think im just trying to arm myself with as many facts as possible before he arrives. Is there a chance then that there could still be an internal issue affecting the line speed even if Im going into the test socket?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

You are actually getter a better speed than estimated for your line, so I would leave things alone.

The other property you mention, may be on a different cabinet, or the cable run from the cabinet is shorter. Its not really the distance from the exchange which matters, its hoe the local cable is routed.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

if you have the hh4 then go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post the stats

as Keith says you have a great connection speed compared to your estimated speed so I would settle for that.  you must be a long way from the exchnage

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Your dslchecker results don't show anything other than Fixed Rate services, which are no longer offered by ISP's. Might need to wait a couple of days or two for the checker to update to see what the estimate is.
0 Ratings
shrews
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Ive just checked and its the same cabinet, 54 that my inlaws internet goes too

0 Ratings
shrews
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Stats below

Information for Helpdesk agents

When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068340+NQ52218894
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26.1.1 (Type A) Last updated 16/12/15
4. Board version: BT Hub 4A
5. ADSL uptime: 0 days, 01:46:35
6. Bandwidth: 448 / 2592
7. Data sent/received: 23.7 MB / 619.6 MB
8. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT Wi-fi: No
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-NJHN
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA and WPA2
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
14. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-NJHN
15. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
16. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. Firewall: Default
19. MAC Address: 54:64:d9:28:8c:f4
20. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
21. Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
22. Latency type: Fast
23. Software variant: -
24. Boot loader: -

thanks all for your quick resposes 🙂

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@shrews wrote:

Ive just checked and its the same cabinet, 54 that my inlaws internet goes too

The cable run from their house to the cabinet must be shorter. The direct distance has no bearing on that.

0 Ratings