cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tassiekev
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

New installation disaster - help needed

I left VM after 18 months to return to BT. My order was for 'phone, BB, TV & Sim. Installation was to take place on Friday the 21st. About 9am on Friday I noticed a BT guy up the telegraph pole a couple of doors away. I'd plugged in all the gear as instructed and waited for something to happen. About 1pm, I used the mobile to call BT and someone in the call centre told me everything was working at their end. I told them I was very pleased for them but nothing was working at my end - I was again told 'no fault'. I insisted on speaking to someone else - they told me there WAS a fault somewhere outside the property and they could arrange to have someone call out on Wednesday. 

I explained that I am a carer for my 95yo Mother who has dementia and needed to be in contact with the outside world long before Wednesday - he then said that it would be treated as a medical emergency and they could probably get someone there on Monday. By this time I was turning purple with rage and told him not to bother, I'd ask VM to reconnect me (which they did, except for the landline because BT have possession of the number) and cancel BT.

As Stated earlier, I'd connected everything as instructed and checked out the Youview box only to find that, every time I pressed the OK button on the remote, my HDMI Matrix Switch turned off. An Email to Youview prompted the response that there was nothing they could do but would note this for future reference. By this time it was Friday Afternoon and I was becoming just a little irrational and rang BT saying I wanted to cancel the whole deal - I'd had enough.

On Saturday morning I had a call from a technician who said he was going to fix my fault - this was followed by a text message in the afternoon saying that access to the property was required.

Today (Sunday), I received a bill from BT for £58 - this includes a £10 discount I was given earlier last week because I'd spent almost half a day on a BT chat line trying activate the sim card for my mobile. The BT activation process insisted I didn't have a sim. Anyway, that's another (lengthy) story.

I have email and a rapidly reducing number of minutes left on my BT sim card. I rather not spend what's left of my life calling different departments of BT to achieve a resolution and if anyone can offer assistance, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Just noticed that BT have sent me 2 seperate emails for the same bill, 2 minutes apart. Why don't thay just come out and say they don't want my business?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: New installation disaster - help needed

What isn't working, your phone? Broadband? TV or all 3? If there is a fault then ringing Friday to get an engineer Monday sounds pretty good to me. If you have access to a landline then you could always call BT on 0800800150 rather than wasting your mobile allowance. 

Is is it adsl or fibre that you ordered?

0 Ratings
tassiekev
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response but I'd ask you to read my post again:

1st para:
"I told them I was very pleased for them but nothing was working
at my end"

I explain further on (end of para 2) that VM can't reconnect the
landline because BT need to release the number.

You say, "If there is a fault" - I also explained that BT support
at first said everything was working, then there was a fault
outside, they could come Wednesday, then maybe Monday. The text
yesterday afternoon said they needed access to the premises -
presumably because they think there is a fault inside the house.

I have ordered BT Infinity 1 which is the best I can get, I'm too
far from the exchange for Infinity 2.

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 4 of 6

When you say nothing is working do you meal there is no dial tone or you just can't make incoming or out going calls? You said you moved from VM, has the house previously had a BT install? Am I correct in assuming that you have plugged your phone and hub into the master socket (the BT not the VM one obviously) with the correct filters?

Ben
0 Ratings
tassiekev
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

No dial tone - as dead as Monty's parrot

As I indicated in the original post "I am returning to BT after 18 months with VM"

There are 2 small boxes, both with VM's logo - One is for TV &  BB and carries (I believe) a coax cable to the VM Hub & Tivo. The other is slightly smaller and has a standard telephone socket - I tried connecting to this one firstly with the BT supplied ADSl filter and when nothing worked, tried the 'phone on its own. Totally dead. 

I had indicated to BT when placing the order that VM's engineer had said something about BT using their connections in the past so he was going to use theirs (BT's) - this was said at the time VM took over from BT 18 months ago. I was told not to be concerned as it would be sorted out at the time of installation. I repeated this to the BT call center on Fri pm and again was told this wasn't a problem. I'm convinced it is.

I mentioned earlier receiving a text message on Sat pm. I was pointed to the site BT.COM/Faults. My fault is logged there with a little diagram that says, 'the fault is near to or in the house' and prompts me to make an appointment for an engineer visit. When I click to make an appointment it says:

"Sorry your session is expired. Please go back and start journey again."

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Ahh that makes sense then now. So basically Vm have butchered the wiring. Hopefully the engineer will be able to fix this. I have no idea if they will charge you or not.
0 Ratings