cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldunclesilas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

New master socket installed, where is the demarcation point?

So I got a BT engineer out because we upgraded to Fibre but weren't really getting much of a speed improvement.  I suspected it was down to having an old LJU type master socket and sure enough after he arrived he said I can improve your speed by 10Mbps with a new master socket, and where do you want it?  The LJU is in the kitchen so not really an ideal place so I asked if he could put it in the room next door in place of an unused socket.  This socket was off a short spur from the LJU and I'd disconected it to improve speeds before we'd got the engineer out.  He said let me think a minute and then said yeah I can do that.

So the upshot is he wired the black bt cable to one pair of the spur extension cable connect to the new master socket.   Then wired the other pair of the cable into the filtered side of the master socket to connect back to the LJU and the rest of the house extension wiring.  So I have one half of a cable on the BT side of the master socket and the other half of the cable on the internal side of the master socket.  So now I have no idea what I'm allowed to touch and what I'm not.  Can I just ignore the whole 'demarcation point' business now, as it clearly makes no sense anymore?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: New master socket installed, where is the demarcation point?

I guess the demarcation point is a moot point with that set up. Is it just a hypothetical question at the moment or is there another reason for the question?

0 Ratings
oldunclesilas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: New master socket installed, where is the demarcation point?

It does seem like it.  It's more just in case I decide in future I want to tidy the cable up rather than having it go back and fore under the fridge and the cooker.  And also I'm not sure that particular piece of extension cable is terribly high quality, I pulled down some of the sheath and it didn't seem like there was any obvious twist going on with the pairs of wires (though I'm not really sure how twisty is good twisty).  I know it's only a short distance so probably doesn't have much effect, if any, on data rate but it's just one of those things that piques my curiosity you know?

0 Ratings