cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rents
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New offer from BT. Can they guarantee that speed? New BT Smart Hub worth it?

I received an email that BT is increasing thier prices. I am currently on a Infinity up to 54Mb.

I can:

A) keep paying the same amount, 29.99, and get UNLIMITED INFINITY 1, Up to 76Mb

B) pay 32.49 + 9.99 for delivery and get  UNLIMITED INFINITY 1, Up to 76Mb + BT Smart Hub

Question 1: how can they offer me 76Mb, if looking on http://dslchecker.bt.com using my BT phone number, it seems to show lower speeds (52? please see below image).

Question 2: I already have a BT Smart Hub. Are they offering a better router now? Mine is from last year. Is it worth spendig the fre extra bucks a month plus delivery just for a new smart hub?

Thanks to all who will take the time to get back to me.

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 00.22.18.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: New offer from BT. Can they guarantee that speed? New BT Smart Hub worth it?

Unless you router (hub) shows a maximum (attainable) data significantly rate higher than the estimate then you would be better sticking with what you have.  Going by the estimate I doubt your line will give you any more than you get already.  The sales email is offering 'UP TO' speed estimates, not an actual guarantee.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Re: New offer from BT. Can they guarantee that speed? New BT Smart Hub worth it?

You would only get up to 76Mbps if your line could support it which yours apparently can't.

The Smarthub they are offering you is exactly the same as the one you already have.

You should call the Options Tean on 0800.800.030 to see what deal if anything they can offer you.  

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

1. They are not offering you 76 Meg. They are offering you UP TO 76 Meg, as they do to everybody in the same boat.

With most BB the speeds you get are dependent on the individual line length to cab or exchange as appropriate. The longer the length the lower the speeds, naturally.

The best estimate of speeds before you get the BB is the BT Availability Checker, which you've taken.

2. You'd best keep to Offer A.

Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks to all.

Current speed is just below 40mb, so my understanding is that I won’t be going above that, even with the new offer, which is fine, but better to know beforehand.

Regarding the router - based on your answers I understand there are now new versions of the smart hub and what I have is already the most recent version. Strange they’d try to up sell something I already have.

Finally, I see on some third party websites they offer the same deal I have now to new customers including a 130£ credit card. Can I leverage that with bt, as the fact the price is going up means I have the right to leave them. Thanks
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

As I suggested, contact the Options Team and try and haggle a deal. You won't get the same as a new customer so be prepared to move to another ISP.

If you are moving because of the price rise you do have the right to leave without penalty. Make sure you tell BT that is why you want to leave.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Neither offer will make your line go faster. All they are doing is removing a cap that you're not even hitting.