cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

New physical line from diffrent cabinet - Who do I talk too?

Go to solution

Hi All,

OK, so I live in rural North Wales so I'm not expecting superfast broadband but my current 0.02mbs is pretty poor.

I'm currently connect to the Llandrillo Exchange (Cabinet 1) which is 5 miles by road from my property, however I know the lines run cross country for some of this way so I estimate its about 3.5 to 4 miles. I appreciate at this distance I'm still at best only going to get ~2mb (the DSL checker suggests 3.5-5.5mbs which would be amazing!).

I think the issue is the quality of the physical cable (its runs some way on poles but then goes through fields and the farmer has a habit of either shooting them or ploughing them up (different farmers). The lines are likely to be very old too and repaired multiple times.

There is now a new BT cabinet in my village (Cynwyd) which is Cabinet 3 from the Corwen exchange. This is a mere 1.5 miles from my house and therefore would make a much better termination point for my line. There is already BT poles for 1 mile of the distance.

So my question to the forum is, who do I need to speak to about finding out how I can get a brand new physical line connected to this new cabinet?

I appreciate there will be an installation cost (I've considered FTTP OD and would use that if I could but I can't seem to purchase the service) so am happy to pay.

I spoke to BT sales and they quote the normal new line fee, somehow I don't think this is right.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: New physical line from diffrent cabinet - Who do I talk too?

Go to solution
Can't be done I'm afraid unless you're already part of Openreach's line rearrangement plans, but that's unlikely given you're 1.5miles from the cabinet.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @KevSwann

See https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
I suggest contacting Superfast Wales to see what plans they have for your postcode.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
What does http://dslchecker.bt.com show for your line?
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Here you go...

DSL.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Thanks for the quick reply, much appricated.

So if I was to build a brand new property in my garden and there were no spare existing copper lines available I assume that Openreach would have to install a new copper cable from the (closest ??) cabinet to the new property.

Would this not be the same thing?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Possibly, but it would be very unlikely that there were no spare pairs.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

I know there are no spare pairs - as I have two and a second on my land has the other two.

So back to my orginal question - any idea who I should contact for a new physical line?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I don't think the new cabinet you speak of is connected to Corwen exchange.

Corwen cabinet 3 has been fibre enabled for some time and is located at approx LL21 0AJ.

I suspect the cabinet 3 you're on about is a new infil cabinet from Llandrillo which is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

Does it look like this 

0 Ratings