cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
studleymax
Contributor
Message 1 of 84

New problem since VLAN issue resolved at the exchange previously after action via Mod on this site

Go to solution

Hi All,

I now have another problem on my BT infinity line. I had originally had a line speed issue, whereby it would connect at 42mbps, but I was only getting 1 -2 mb download speed. This was eventually sorted out when a Mod on this forum stepped in and helped me out. It turned out to be VLAN issue at the Exchange.

My new problem is this:

Issues with crackling and hiss on phone line, so unplug phone and BT Hub 5, then replug/reboot BT Hub 5. Crackling goes away on phone line, and reouter connects at 42mbps. So all good. Then about 4 -5 hours in, suddendly the crackling/hiss on the phone returns and the router has dropped connection, then reconnected at, say, 30mbps. I contacted BT and decided to agree to Open Reach engineer visiting my house to check the line. He did this yesterday, plugged his test equipment in and found no problem. Whilst he was there he did replace the master socket, as I had quite an old one. I did express concern to him about whether I would be charged £130 for the visit, and he was quite vague about this... So hopefully not!

Anyway I decided to run a soak test overnight with RouterStatsHub v1.7.0 and this is what it showed:

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20170405-072705.jpg

RSHub-Max Data Rate-20170405-081801.jpg

RSHub-Max Data Rate-20170405-072705.jpg

So it would appear that the behaviour manifests itself after a period of connection without issues. So when Open Reach engineer tested (he plugged in his equipment) it started a fresh connection, and all was well. I'm not sure where to go with this as I will end up in the same loop if I call BT again...

Note that I tried using the test port on the socket previously, and experienced the same issues....

Note also that I do not have any other sockets connections in the entire house, just the one master socket...

0 Ratings
83 REPLIES 83
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 84

Re: New problem since WLAN issue resolved at the exchange previously after action via Mod on this si

Go to solution

There is definitely a fault on your line if you can hear noise. If the SNRM graph looks like that when connected to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket, the problem is outside of your property and the responsibility of Openreach. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to track down the source of intermittent faults.

0 Ratings
studleymax
Contributor
Message 3 of 84

Re: New problem since WLAN issue resolved at the exchange previously after action via Mod on this si

Go to solution

Apologies - Can one of the mods delete this post - I have somehow managed to post twice!!!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 84

Go to solution

@studleymax wrote:

Apologies - Can one of the mods delete this post - I have somehow managed to post twice!!!

Is that correct now?

I think you mean VLAN, not WLAN.

0 Ratings
studleymax
Contributor
Message 5 of 84

Re: New problem since VLAN issue resolved at the exchange previously after action via Mod on this si

Go to solution

This post is my original post, I have asked for my erroneous post to be deleted...

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 84

Re: New problem since VLAN issue resolved at the exchange previously after action via Mod on this si

Go to solution

@studleymax wrote:

This post is my original post, I have asked for my erroneous post to be deleted...

I have moved the replies here. Hopefully that is what you wanted. @licquorice thinks you may have a line fault.

0 Ratings
studleymax
Contributor
Message 7 of 84

Go to solution

Yes, this is the post I wanted to keep! Thanks.

0 Ratings
studleymax
Contributor
Message 8 of 84

Go to solution

So how best do I go about addressing this problem with BT?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 84

Go to solution
report a noisy phone line on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
studleymax
Contributor
Message 10 of 84

Go to solution

Just tried the suggestion of phoning them with a line fauly. Guess what - they want to send an Open Reach engineer round to test the equipment!!!

Problem manifests itself 5 hours after initial plug in...

Going round in circles...

0 Ratings