cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

New router - BT Smart Hub

Not a technical issue but a general enquiry.

Would installing one of these be an advantage?

My current router is some 6 years old and functions pretty well.  I use ADSL 2+, because Infinity is not available on my exchange only line.

Typically I get an SNR of around 8-ish and a loop attenuation of 29.  Current download speed is around 9.2Mb

Would a newer device be more efficient and give me a better download speed, for example.  I apppreciate that using the same copper connection is the main influence on performance but wonder if the newer technolgy would/could improve on the present performance.

The other point is cost.  I know a new one retails at ~£130 but I've seen somewhere, but can't locate the info now, that existing BT BB users could get one at a reduced rate.

Any help or advice would be most welcome, or, failing that some pointers at where to look.  The BT Shop website is not really much help tbh.

Alan
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: New router - BT Smart Hub

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Under no circumstances part with money for the HH6, its a complete lemon and will not improve anything. There are far superior third party ADSL routers available much cheaper in any case.

0 Ratings
middle53
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

I wa usinh a series 4 Router and had all sorts of bandwidth issues BT assist after about 5 attempts that they thought I had a intermittant fault on it. They sent me a new Smart Hub this is even worse narrow bandwidth (I think) and it keeps stopping. Is this a common problem. Would I be better off getting a third party router/hub if so which one. I have gone back to my series 4 router for the moment. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Merely from personal experience swapping your HH out for a 3rd party router would see almost immediate improvements to your line.  I haven't had chance to try out the HH6 I am about to borrow but installing a HH4 saw my ip profile drop from 750k (the best possible for my extreeeemely long line) to 128k, with most sites timing out before they could load, within a week of signing up to BT.  Talking to BT support was like hitting a brick wall (It's a long line, you cannot expect any better than that - doh!!) so, in the end, I just swapped back to my old Netgear DG834g and saw an immediate improvement in speeds.  OK it took another 3 days for dlm to up my ip profile but at least pages were now loading.

On the obverse, I had a friend who swore the HH4 increased his line speed but he was less than a mile from his exchange and even closer to his street cabinet.

An alternative router might well improve things but which one would best suit depends on a variety of factors - money first and foremost since it can get very expensive (unless you know someone with a spare sat sitting on a shelf), length of line, design of building, type of usage (eg browsing or gaming), cabled or wifi and goodness knows what else since it can be a very personal thing.  I love my netgear for being extremely stable on a faulty line.  I love my billion bipac for being faster on a long line but it is very flaky when there is a fault (and there has been a fault ever since some idiot tried to steal the underground copper) so I don't get to use it nowadays.

0 Ratings
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Thanks guys for your input.

I've seen good reviews of the Billion and the Netgear boxes.  Perhaps the Billion  looks more versatile and was certainly well reviewed recently on PC Pro magazine.  (And, iirc, somewhere in these forums too.)

Any thoughts?

Alan
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Billion is preferable to Netgear if for no other reason that Netgear appear to be reluctant to update firmware to cater for BT's implementation of IPv6. You can tweak the SNRM on Billion routers to squeeze a bit extra from your line, don't know about Netgear

0 Ratings
Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Just about every piece of kit has something that makes it stand out from the rest.  At the end of the day (or middle of it as the case may be) it comes down to personal preference.  You have to prioritise your needs and then measure each particular choice against that.  At one time I would have come down on the side of the billion each and every time but then a fault on the line had it reconnecting between 2 and 20 times a day every day.  It fell out of favour.  Having said that both pieces of kit I have mentioned are old and technology has moved forward at a terrific pace so.....

RogerB
Guru
Message 8 of 11

The points Foxcliffe inferred to about Netgear, specifically the 834G(T) and Billion routers is no coincidence. I use a Billion on my Infinity connection now, and have previously used the same Netgear (with alternative firmware) on a very long line running ADSL2. The reason they perform so well is in the chipset architecture ... as both routers employ Broadcom chipsets. And predominently most BT Msans and previously Dslams were chipped up with equipment that was a good match for the Broadcom chipsets. There has been a lot of "testing" done by "in the know" folks regarding these chipsets, in fact AFAIK the orginal DGT firmware to allow SNRm changes was specifically written around Broadcom chipset architecture.
0 Ratings
Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

@RogerBare you au fait with exchange equipment?  Do you know what difference there is between Marconi and Fujitsu MSAN performance on a very longgggg copper line?

0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 10 of 11

@Foxcliffe wrote:

@RogerBare you au fait with exchange equipment?  Do you know what difference there is between Marconi and Fujitsu MSAN performance on a very longgggg copper line?

No more than what you can find on here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/telephone_exchange.htm mostly revolving around 21CN, but things have moved on especially where the new type MSANs are concerned.
0 Ratings