Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

New routers - but slower speed

Go to solution

I changed from Sky to BT in May. The Sky router was giving 4.3Mbps download and 0.7Mbps upload. After disconnection and re-connection (new phone number), my new BT Hub3 router gave me 3.5Mbps dowload and 0.38Mbps upload. After a few weeks it started to have an intermittent fault and BT sent out a new router to replace it ... a BT Hub4.

Suprprise surprise! The new router gives 2.5Mbps download and... 0.1Mbps upload. This upload speed means I cannot work from home any more because I cannot make voice conference calls over the internet.

I am in a rural area on a copper line 2 km from the exchange. Neighbours have noticed no degradation in service. I have tested the speeds at various times of the day and at weekends but mainly at 6:00am. Upload speeds have intermittently been up to 0.3Mbps (weekends and early mornings). On Sunday, I tried the old BT Hub3 (which I haven't sent back yet) and it improved my download speed by about 0.5Mbps but upload was unaffected. No difference when testing from different devices, ethernet or wireless, using the normal socket or test socket on the BT master socket. Also no difference between different servers - Douglas, Carlisle, Newcastle, etc.

DSL noise margin varies between 7 and 14 dB upstream and 5.4 and 6.2 downstream

DSL line rate varies between 256 and 448 Kbps upstream (normally 448) and 3008 to 3616 Kbps downstream (normally about 3300).

This morning it was running at 3.34Mbps download and 0.25Mbps upload when I ran diagnostics. It showed Max achievable download speed 4Mbps and max achievable upload speed 0.45Mbps.

BT technical assistance on the phone take forever to answer and don't seem competent so I wonder if someone can help?

I want to go back to Sky - they tell me that in my exchange Sky does not rent equipment from BT but has their own so that might explain the difference (but BT says it is not true). BT also want to penalise me for breaking the contract although I calim that a 0.1Mbps is not fit for purpose.

While I could live with BT providing 56% of the download speed that Sky achieved, I can't cope with 14% of the upload speed because Skype telephone conversations are unreliable below 0.1Mbps. There seems to me to be possible solutions: (a) When I was re-connected the copper wires or connection are faulty so BT Openreach could try an alternative wire or re-do the connection. (b) Both BT routers are faulty (c) BT are throttling the upload speeds.

The amount of time I have spent on this is incredible Smiley Mad so I would be really pleased if someone can help.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New routers - but slower speed

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

your three assumptions - a, b, & c - are incorrect and the slower up speed is due to being in adslmax whereas sky was an LLU provider

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).  must be done with wired connection

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks!

I have this information now, but I will re-run it this evening.

16:14:39, 22 Aug.

(85629.890000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 5.40 dB downstream

16:14:39, 22 Aug.

(85629.830000) DSL line rate: 384 Kbps upstream, 3424 Kbps downstream

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub

2. Serial number:

+068340+NQ40929570

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26.1.1 (Type A) Last updated 11/09/15

4. Board version:

BT Hub 4A

5. ADSL uptime:

0 days, 04:32:24

6. Bandwidth:

384 / 3424

7. Data sent/received:

79.3 MB / 1.8 GB

8. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

9. BT Wi-fi:

Yes

10. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

BTHub4-P2T8

11. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))

12. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:

WPA and WPA2

13. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

14. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:

BTHub4-P2T8

15. 5 GHz Wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 300 Mb/s))

16. 5 GHz Wireless security:

WPA2

17. 5 GHz Wireless channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

18. Firewall:

19. MAC Address:

34:8a:ae:b2:c9:36

20. VPI/VCI:

0 / 38

21. Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

22. Latency type:

Interleaved

23. Software variant:

-

24. Boot loader:

-

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

imjolly,

Thanks for your reply and it seems that my only solution is to end with BT and go to an ISP with LLU.

It still puizzles me though how a BTHub4 can be slower than a BTHub3 on the same adslmax.

You asked for the stats so here they are:

19:41:28, 23 Aug. ( 89.930000) DSL noise margin: 16.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
19:41:28, 23 Aug. ( 89.860000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 3584 Kbps downstream

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
 Download  Speed
 1.89 Mbps

0 Mbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.89 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.16 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
 Upload Speed
 0.23 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed  achieved during the test was - 0.23Mbps

I wonder if anyone can shed any more light on this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

You need to post results from the dslchecker link to see if your exchange has been upgraded to adsl2 which is equivalent of LLU

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

It would seem that ADSL 2+ is available as this is what it shows:

__________________________________________________________________________________

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number -------- on Exchange MILNGAVIE

ADSL Products / Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) / Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) / Downstream Range(Mbps) / Availability Date / Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+       / Up to 2      /  --      / 1 to 3.5     / Available     / --     / --
ADSL Max             / Up to 1.5   / --       / 1 to 2.5     / Available     / --     / --
WBC Fixed Rate    / 0.5            / --        / --              / Available     / --     / --
Fixed Rate            / 0.5            / --       /--                / Available     / --     / --

Other Offerings Availability Date

ADSL Multicast    /--               / --         / --              /Available      / --     / --

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

How do I request to get changed from ADSL Max to ADSL 2+?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

This forum has been a great help - thanks to all contributors!

Two questions remain outstanding.

1. Should a BT HomeHub3 be faster than a BT HomeHub4 when connected to the same equipment? I thought the 4 should be faster.
  2. Is the change from ADSLMAX to ADSL 2+ reserved for commercial clients? If not, is a low upload speed of 0.1Mbps justification for asking for an upgrade?

Any thoughts appreciated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Anyone can be migrated to ADSL2+ if the equipment is in the exchange, and their line can support it. As you are too far from the exchange, it will make no difference.

To get a decent upload speed, you need to be on ADSL2+ with a download speed of greater than 8mbs, or have an Infinity connection if available.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
no two routers will perform the same due to manufacturing tolerances and more particularly the use of different chipsets in the routers modem