Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikegledholt
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

New service very slow

Hi

I have a newish connection activated on 8/2/2012. When I first connected I got 4.4 mb, now I get 3.85 mb. This is inspite of the fact that when I ordered the service I was given to understand from the online line test that I would get at least 8 mb. When I go onto BT now and ask what speed I can expect it declares 16 mb!

What is going on & why do I keep getting different quotes from BT?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Regards

Mike

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: New service very slow

Hi Welcome to the forums
Test Socket.jpg
If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it
Click on More Details and then post the full results.
also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com
Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket
Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397
Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

mikegledholt
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi

Thanks for quick reply.

I have checked my setup & I can't find anything that might be interfering with it. I don't have an NTE5 socket, just a LJU2 basic socket.

Thanks

Mike

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:9 days, 03:05:39
Downstream:4,947 Kbps
Upstream:551 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):5.1 dB / 10.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):48.0 dB / 26.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):1109774 / 482
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 2
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):1 / 2
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):5903820 / 574
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 192

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

can you please run the bt speedtest as we need the results to diagnose further also have you tried the quiet line test
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

you currently have a 4.9mb connection not 3.85mb.  your download speed is probably about 3.85mb.

do you have any other sockets in your home?  if so have you removed the orange bellwire on terminal 3 

bellwire removal

with your attenuation I woule expect about 5/6mb connection speed  see here 

check speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

like imjolly posts i would expect a maximum 5/6mb and as said you currently have a 4.9mb connection
mikegledholt
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Hi

Yes I tried the quiet line test and all seemed very quiet!

Speed test results:

I am confused by this test. When I test with http://speedtester.bt.com/beta/ I get 3.85, the same as when I test with any other speed tester. The one below is very different but still nothing like the online quote test I have had of 16mb. 

BT Broadband Connection Speed TestThe connection speed between the Telephone Exchange and your Home Hub can be improved

Your connection speed 4.9 mbps

Your connection speed is the speed that your Home Hub communicates with the Telephone Exchange. This is usually the maximum speed your line can support for the broadband you're on.

Estimated speed 6.0 mbps

The estimated connection speed is set when you ordered broadband with BT. This was based on various checks including the distance of your home to the Telephone Exchange and the quality of your telephone line.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

please use the full bt speed test at speedtester.bt.com not the beta test
omits
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Surely, the best way to check speed is to download some software. Then you can see the rate. Otherwise (if fast) it may be other factors not least of all the internet itslef somewhere. You may have that speed on your line to the exchange but if the exchange to next exchange hub is busy (say early evening) then that will be the bottleneck.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

@omits wrote:

Surely, the best way to check speed is to download some software. Then you can see the rate. Otherwise (if fast) it may be other factors not least of all the internet itslef somewhere. You may have that speed on your line to the exchange but if the exchange to next exchange hub is busy (say early evening) then that will be the bottleneck.

hence why the request to run btspeedtester and not the beta version   it will show connection speed , profile and download speed and is only one accepted by BT

many sites restrict the download speed as their servers are unable to give everyone maximum download speed at the same time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings