cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

New to BT Infinity 1 - When to raise an issue ?

I changed from regular BT BB to BT Infinity 1 on 28/07/2017.

Setup was fine and in the first few days I was getting about 30-33mbps.

This is way below what is expected/guaranteed.......

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We estimate your download speed will be between 51Mb and 55Mb, and your upload speed will be between 9Mb and 10Mb. 

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 44Mb. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The router has rebooted once during my first 10 days of connection and has been connected now for nearly 3 days.

Stats are:Downstream sync speed:31.31 MbpsUpstream sync speed 7.43 Mbps

I understand that there is a settling in period of about 10 days. When can I expect to start acheiving a better speed and when should I raise this as an issue if it doesn't happen ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: New to BT Infinity 1 - When to raise an issue ?

Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hello,

I'm connected to the master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Can you remove the faceplate and connect to the test socket?

Once you've done that post the connection stats from the hub pleease 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Your line will have "settled" after two or three days. It will not improve now. You should call BT and inform them that you are not getting your guaranteed speed and that you want the problem investigated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

I'd prefer not to attach to the test socket. I know that this will result in a speed drop when reconnected.

I was under the impression, maybe incorrectly, that BT will play the 'You need to be connected continuously for 10 days before we investigate' mantra.

Out of curiosity, and jumping many steps ahead, it BT say that they can't do anything, if I was to go to BT Infinity2 would my speed incease ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 11

Changing to Infinity 2 would make no difference at all.

If you don't test the line from the test socket you run the risk of a £129 charge for the engineer if the problem proves to be your internal wiring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

All switching to Infinity 2 is to remove an artificial cap of 55 Meg from your line w/out changing its performance. So only if you were hitting 55 Meg on Infinity 1 would you benefit from Infinity 2.

Contributor
Message 9 of 11

I've already had 6 engineers visits during a problem,that was entirely on BT's network,that affected my regular BB.

My internal wiring is spot on. I only have a master socket, no extensions etc. BT engineers have confirmed this.

I only 'upgraded' to Infinity because I was assured by BT that it uses different infrastructure and that the issue involving the 6 visits wasn't sorted satisfactorily.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Then you need an engineer.
0 Ratings