Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somhairle
Contributor
Message 11 of 45

Re: New to BT Infinity But Disappointed

@pippincp wrote:

Has the max data rate changed while connected to the test socket?

No. It does not change. 

Why would an engineer need to call? My previous service was fine at 14/15mbs. And the connection to the test socket would seem to suggest that it is not the internal wiring at fault?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 45

Your speed is half what it should be, indicating there may be a fault on the line or with the port in the cabinet.

Only an engineer visit who can connect test equipment will be able to identify the cause.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
StephanieG
Community Manager - Retired
Message 13 of 45

Hi @somhairle

As your service was only connected yesterday, your line is still stabilising so we're unable to send a fault to our suppliers for investigation just yet in this case.

That being said, if your speed hasn't improved after 10 days or indeed it get drammatically worse, please post back and we'll be happy to look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 45

Sorry stephanie but a line connecting at half the maximum expected isn’t going to change. DLM has the line, in the first 48 hours with a completely open 0.128-80m profile (or to 55m on Inf 1.)

The 10 days thing is a myth, even more so on FTTC. The line is clearly underpferoming and requires a visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
StephanieG
Community Manager - Retired
Message 15 of 45

Thanks @Webby. I agree that if it doesn't improve we'll definitely need to investigate this. Unfortunately the suppliers will not accept this as a fault at present as the service was only activated with us two days ago.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 45

Not sure why this has never been challenged. Openreach will tell you that DLM does not have a mythical 10 day period, it’s active from the moment the circuit goes live. The fact a line is connecting way below the expected range, with a 6dB target margin tells us that something with the line isn’t as Openrach expect, wheb comparing against the speed estimations.
0 Ratings
somhairle
Contributor
Message 17 of 45

The reason I reported the speed issue was because, as Webby says, stabilisation is quite different from a significant shortfall in performance. I would imagine that stabilisation is simply a tweaking of performance, similar to what I have expereinced several times with standard broadband switches. And there is nothing in the order confirmation email from BT saying that you should wait until the end of the stabilisation period before reporting speeds which fall below - in my case - 30mbs.

I have this morning spent most of my time switching locations and testing all over the house. However, since the dual ADSL/phone socket replaced the master some years ago, I can only connect to that master anyway!

I have managed to run through the BT fault testing process and the result was that there appears to be a fault outside the home and an engineer will be asigned to check that within 3 days.

Some more history. This area has only recently switched to fibre. It was late in the rollout as we were Exchange Only (direct) connections. Much work has been required to get the service in here and I would not at all be surprised that there are network issues. 

My reluctance in requesting a BT engineer is obvious. The cost is prohibitive and I am not comfortable allowing that to happen simply because there 'may' be an domestic fault. It appears to me that the charge can escalate significantly from the £130 call-out. Furthermore, my experience of BT when it comes to recommending engineer visists is not good. Not that long ago I had to refuse one entry to my home because BT had sent him to fix a problem relating to an o2 text server issue!!!! There was no way that he was ever going to discover anything inside my home that would resolve that particular problem, but it may well have charged a small fortune tell me that!

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 45

If you’re in the test socket and the issue persists, you won’t be charged.

Have you tried dialling 17070 and running the quiet line test?
0 Ratings
somhairle
Contributor
Message 19 of 45

Just did it following your suggestion. It does sound rather noisy. Not silent.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 45

There's the most likely reason for your problem (practically guaranteed).

Report a line fault not a broadband one on 151.

0 Ratings