cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somhairle
Contributor
Message 31 of 45

Re: New to BT Infinity But Disappointed

Well, still having issues. Spent some time on the phone to BT today to run some tests, etc. Very helpful and pleasant girl on the other end. However, I need an engineers visit. I must admit this was the thing I was dreading most considering the negative feedback I have read about them. Anyway, we will see how things go.

The noise on the line has cleared. I traced this myself to a disconnected earth wire at a socket. So, all is fine with that now.

One thing that has me puzzled. The girl on the phone advised me - in a seemingly whispered tone - that if the engineer recommended replacing a front plate not to take it. I assume that she meant unless it was faulty. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Is there some Openreach scam going to try to get you to purchase unecessary parts or equipment?

I should have questioned her in more detail at the time, but am only now beginning to wonder what it was about.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 45

Can you post the connection stats from the hub now that the noise has gone?

There is no scam.

I can’t think why she would advise not to take a new modern faceplate.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 45

@somhairle wrote:

Well, still having issues. Spent some time on the phone to BT today to run some tests, etc. Very helpful and pleasant girl on the other end. However, I need an engineers visit. I must admit this was the thing I was dreading most considering the negative feedback I have read about them. Anyway, we will see how things go.

The noise on the line has cleared. I traced this myself to a disconnected earth wire at a socket. So, all is fine with that now.

One thing that has me puzzled. The girl on the phone advised me - in a seemingly whispered tone - that if the engineer recommended replacing a front plate not to take it. I assume that she meant unless it was faulty. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Is there some Openreach scam going to try to get you to purchase unecessary parts or equipment?

I should have questioned her in more detail at the time, but am only now beginning to wonder what it was about.

Total b/s.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 45

If your broadband service has been activated or regraded, and if your line speed is lower that promised after 10 days, then you are entitled to a free visit from an Openreach broadband technician to fix the issue, but you must report it right away.

You must report the slow speed within 90 days of your service being activated.

0 Ratings
somhairle
Contributor
Message 35 of 45

Thanks for the responses. 

The problem has been reported straight away. I was on BT Broadband and moved to BT Infinity. So I am not a new customer. They seemed to accept that there would be no need to wait the 10 days. Possibly for that reason, or for the fact that the speed is not much better than non-fibre broadband?

Here are the current stats:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ72421980

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

17-Sep-2017

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 7 Hours 27 Minutes 4 Seconds

Data rate:

4.49 Mbps / 20.07 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

4471 / 23510

Noise margin:

5.9 dB / 5.4 dB

Line attenuation:

30.2 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

142 MB Uploaded / 1294 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-CFGZ

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-CFGZ

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

B8:EE:0E:B3:13:7D

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 45

You need a broadband engineer visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
somhairle
Contributor
Message 37 of 45

Well, I was expecting an engineer today. BUt when I checked the fault tracking at 9am, it had been marked cleared and appointment cancelled. Of course, the fault is not cleared. So the visit has now been rearranged for Monday. We will see.....

BTW, can anyone give me their opinion of the stats that I have posted. I have posted these a couple of times now and dont think I have read an explanation of what is there?

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 38 of 45

Hi @somhairle and thanks for posting.

If the engineer doesn't get this sorted on Monday please post back and I'll be happy to step in.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
somhairle
Contributor
Message 39 of 45

Well, the engineer called and spent around 4 hours at the house. He checked the house first and found nothing. Then went to the cabinet and switched something there, but it made no difference. Then called out an underground engineer and they switched a couple of wires outside the house. It made no difference. Eventually, he changed two of the faceplates in the house. And again it made no difference.
I am now left to decide whether or not I want to withdraw from the Infinity contract.

Does anyone know if BT will refund the router postage and connection charge if I revert to standard broadband?

I am also hoping that there is not a charge for this as nothing has improved. The engineer could not tell me if there would be a charge.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 45

@DavidMshould be calling back in on this thread.  He will activate the link for you to get in touch with the mods, one of them will sort everything out with you. Don't bother ringing back in.

If the engineer turns out to be correct and they can't improve you service they will arrange the switch back to ADSL for you.

The router can be used with standard broadband if you wish.

0 Ratings