Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FOXGLOVESAP
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New to BT YouView - help needed!!!!

Hi

Yesterday we changed over from Sky to BT YouView.  The engineer connected up via an Ethernet cable through the main aerial.  All seems to be working fine (at the mo) on our main tv, however, I am unable to pick up a signal on any other tv in the house (whereas when I was with Sky, although we did not have multi-room and had to watch the same programme on other tv's, I could simply turn the tv on an watch whatever was on the main tv).  I am also unable to pick up Freeview.  I have tried re-tuning but having a message to say that no channels can be found.  I am not that good at all the technical stuff - any advice or tips would be great.  Thank you. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
ubysam
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: New to BT YouView - help needed!!!!

Hi and welcome,

You should stilll be able to watch freeview on the other tv's but won't be able to watch what's on the main tv in other rooms like you had with sky (not sure if you can with virgin either fwiw)

sounds like the rf pass/loop through is either unplugged or still connected to the sky box, if still in situ

if the sky box is still in situ there's propably a wire plugged into rf1 or rf2 out - if so move this to the rf out of the youview box and see if the other tv's work again ( you'll need to turn on the rf loop on the youview box and from your first post, rescan the other tv's)

if no wire plugged into rf 1 or two then eits either loos behing the tv or it's connected to the youview box but rf loop is turned off in the settings

the plug your looking for will look like...

http://static1.tme.eu/katalog_pics/f/6/f/f6f87e6f7e2bfe7ad57c7e385cc07d1c/coax%20socket3.jpg

hth

Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

@FOXGLOVESAP wrote:

Hi

Yesterday we changed over from Sky to BT YouView.  The engineer connected up via an Ethernet cable through the main aerial.  All seems to be working fine (at the mo) on our main tv, however, I am unable to pick up a signal on any other tv in the house (whereas when I was with Sky, although we did not have multi-room and had to watch the same programme on other tv's, I could simply turn the tv on an watch whatever was on the main tv).  I am also unable to pick up Freeview.  I have tried re-tuning but having a message to say that no channels can be found.  I am not that good at all the technical stuff - any advice or tips would be great.  Thank you. 

You should have an Ethernet cable connected to the Home Hub and a TV aerial connected to the back of the YouView box.  If you are relying on a loop-through of the Freeview signal on the aerial output of the box, you need to turn it on in the YouView settings.  It doesn't output anything on that socket unless you turn it on.

The YouView box does not output the programme you are watching on the aerial output, unlike some other boxes, it just passes through the standard Freeview signal (and only then if you turn it on).

0 Ratings
ScottSilver
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Don't forget for the passthrough to work, the box needs to be set to "ECO Low" mode. By default, this is set to "ECO High". You can change this option in the settings menu.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 5 of 7

"Don't forget for the passthrough to work, the box needs to be set to "ECO Low" mode. By default, this is set to "ECO High". You can change this option in the settings menu."

Not so, mine works fine on either. You just have to make sure it's set to 'on'.

0 Ratings
ScottSilver
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Interesting, the user guide says it has to. 🙂

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 7 of 7

This may be closer to it although I haven't tried it.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Watching-normal-Freeview/m-p/912520#M4596

0 Ratings