Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rodweiller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

New to BT and already regretting it!

Go to solution

Hello,

I am to quote my wife, "a sad no life gamer" and I need at least 0.8meg Upload speed to game without rubber banding or lag issuese.

Monday 20th October 2014, my BT broadband was - Hooray, I was very excited. I had a download speed of 4.5MB and an upload speed of 0.38MB. I know it has to stabalise so I left it.

Tuesday 21st october 2014, my download speed is 5MB but my upload speed was only 0.38MB so not being able to game which is about the only stress relief I can manage whilst having to work and be married with two kids, I telephoned the help desk and spoke to a lovely gentleman who described my upload speed as "meagre". He then stated that I should give it another 72 hours to settle and he would personally ring me back on Friday evening between 8-9pm.

Friday 24th October 2014, I received another call from the lovely gentleman I spoke to on Tuesday and explained to him I was still on my "meagre" 0.38MB and wanted it lifting please. He tested my line and explained that there was no reason why I could not get an uplload speed of 1MB. Brilliant I thought. He stated he would put a fault ticket in and it would be done as soon as possible.

Today Friday 31st October 2014, I had no broadband at all so telephoned the help desk as advised by the downloaded connection manager. I asked about my upload speed only to be told, wait for it, "we can not control the upload speed, it depends on what websites you go on!" we had some discussion and then I was told, "We can not give you a better upload speed than 0.38MB unless you change your pacakage" I am on the best possible package I can get as I am in a non fibre optic area.

Any ideas please before I consider moving to another ISP?

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: New to BT and already regretting it!

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

You would be lucky to get that sort of upload speed on ADSL, from any ISP, as the upstream frequencies used by ADSL, tend to be subject to noise, which reduces their usability.

You would need to be on a FTTC product, like BT Infinity, to get a decent upload speed.

The other option would be a cable ISP.

0 Ratings
Rodweiller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks Keith but I have previously had 1MB with plusnet on the same line, and plusnet uses the same as BT so I am confused why BT can not do it?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
sounds like you may be on adsl max which has an upload max of 448k if you post your hub adsl stats we could possibly help more
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Rodweiller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Sorry this is the best I can manager in terms of posting at the moment.

Featured Products   Downstream Line Rate   (Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date                                                                                        

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4--2.5 to 6.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 4Up to 0.52.5 to 6.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 3--2 to 6Available
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Fixed Rate1 ----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

Does this mean I can only get an Upload speed of 0.5Meg even though on Ookla speedtest with Plusnet I was getting 0.88Meg?

I am confused.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

from your posts it does appear that wholesale have put you on adslmax as your speed is <8mb.  as you would like a faster upload then see if mods can help get you on to adsl2  mods will post a contact us link 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DavidM
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Rodweiller,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. 

Cheers

David

Rodweiller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Many thanks DavidM - email sent as requested.

0 Ratings