cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarb007
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

New to BT infinity, possibly mis-sold .... Help/Advice

Hello All and thanks for any help or advice in advance. Just upgraded to BT infinity finally after being stuck on BT broadband for the last 13 years at speeds starting at 0.5MBand slowly increasing to 3.5MB Infinity finally became available and spoke to BT sales who guaruntee a minimum speed increase of 11.0MB. It's been in place now for a few days and the maximum I'm getting is 3.02MB when it's working. The engineer that came to have a look at the phone line said we were mid-sold infinity and that we would never get more that what we're on now as we are too far from the exchange. What options does that leave me with? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: New to BT infinity, possibly mis-sold .... Help/Advice

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Sarb007
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Hi Ray, the line stats from the HH5 are;
Data Rate:577/3099
Maximum Data Rate: 600/4214
Noise Margin: 6.8/6.9
Line attenuation: 0.0/43.2
Signal attenuation: 0.0/28.6

Are these all you need as there is lots of other info about wireless setting.

Thanks
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

you look a long way from you local street cabinet you are at the limits of fibre service
Sarb007
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

the speed you were quoted was an estimate no ISP can guarantee a speed there are to many variables
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

Your line attenuation is extremely high. If that is just down to line length rather than a fault then you were mis-sold Infinity as you will never get Infinity speeds.

I suggest you report it as a poor install and demand a broadband boost engineer attends to optimise your connection.

Does your phone work OK? Dial 17070 option 2 for the quiet line test and listen - it should be silent with no crackles.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Sarb007
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Ray, thanks very much for your help. Carried out the quiet line test, no loud crackling, just the slight hum of the BT handset.  Appreciate your help, will contact BT in the morning.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 19

BT normally sell a different fibre broadband package (Unlimited Faster Broadband) to those whose line can't support the Infinity minimum of 15Mbps.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740/~/what-is-unlimited-faster-broadband%3F

I think it's approx £20 per month?

Sarb007
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

I wonder if that's what they've sold me in which case my ADSL was still giving me a quicker speed and was more stable? I will check this with them too. Many Thanks
0 Ratings