cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

New to BT - the most rediculous bill I've ever seen!

I have just moved from Virgin to BT and have just recieved my bill online. I signed up for a very simple deal £4.99 per month for free evening and weekend calls and broadband.

The bill is just a joke, credits here, debits there - nothing is clear, I have no idea if I have been charged correctly or not. The bill is not £4.99 or £9.98 or £4.99 plus a months line rental its just a random figure that is not outrageous or nessesarily wrong just totally confusing.

Is this a BT ploy to make money somewhere and hope people won't notice. If a company advertisies something at £4.99 permonth why not put it on the bill as £4.99 per month?

I then tried to contact BT via email to feed back my views so that maybe they might consider these in the future - can you contact BT easily via email - it seems not I just get answers to questions I'm not really interested in.

So thats why I've come on here.

Not impressed so far BT!!!

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Message 2 of 13

Re: New to BT - the most rediculous bill I've ever seen!

Hi Pauljoecoe,

Thanks for posting. I can check what's going on with your bills. Drop me an email with your account details and a link to this thread for reference. You'll find the address in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

David I think you may be very busy the OP is far from the only one finds a bill hard to understand.

BT even manage to confuse themselves. When I re-contracted recently I received a letter outlining the charges in the new contract. There was that many pluses and minuses that the final amount was £25 more than I was quoted. When I rang to query it the operater confirmed the price I was originally quoted and agreed that the figurs I received were confusing the matter.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 13

The bills are terrible.....I have BT Total Broadband and Unlimited Anytime.....and I receive 2 bills from the same company....why can't they just charge me one amount per month for all the services I get from them??

And to make things even worse.....I somehow missed a DD payment in December. BT then tried to take this payment twice more (without telling me first!) and then charged me £10 because they failed again. If I'd been notified that they would try and take the money twice more, then I could have made sure the money was in the account. Surely this is against the DD regulations and I should be notified 10 days prior to an amount being taken?

Woke up this morning and my broadband was off....with a nice message in my browser telling me to 'click here to pay now' and my broadband would be reinstated immediately. I clicked the link and paid £30 on my debit card....my broadband came on, but my broadband phone says 'you cannot make or receive calls from this line'

So.......I phoned them up tonight at 17.50.The guy in India tells me that the payment made this morning has actually gone towards my phone plan and not my broadband plan!! So I ask him why and he can't tell me. Surely the link on the browser page relating to broadband being off should take me to a payment page for my broadband, and not my phone plan.

Now I'm no further forward, and can't even SEE my account online because it won't add a broadband account to MyBT.

And to make things even worse the guy in India cut me off half way through trying to get this sorted out. I phoned back and get a message saying 'the help desk is now closed'

What an absolute joke this system is......I've now paid money to the wrong account (to which I'm now in credit), need to pay money to my Broadband account, but can't. Not because of any problems of my own, but because BT choose to have a closed help desk, and they also choose not to let me add or see my broadband account online.

Ever so frustrated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

@astephenson wrote:

And to make things even worse.....I somehow missed a DD payment in December. BT then tried to take this payment twice more (without telling me first!) and then charged me £10 because they failed again. If I'd been notified that they would try and take the money twice more, then I could have made sure the money was in the account. Surely this is against the DD regulations and I should be notified 10 days prior to an amount being taken?

You are correct in that you are required to receive notification of the initial payment amount. However, if you subsequently fail to make this payment, there is no regulation which prevents them from attempting to take the payment again.

=======================================
If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
=======================================
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 13

Surely they should give me some sort of clue that they're going to take money from my account...a letter, phonecall or email??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

You're not alone, pauljoecoe. BT have the most complex bills out all utilities I've ever used - even though a few times per year they crow about how they've made things simpler with some billing change or other. 

When I opened my account years ago, I was told I'd get a free upgrade to the "free evening & weekend calls" package because I'd agreed to a rolling 12-month contract instead of a shorter-term one. All I actually wanted was the basic package, which gave free weekend calls only. However, they don't just say that on the bills - the charges are displayed for the "free evening & weekend" plan at full price, then a confusing discount is applied further down.

Which would just about be acceptable, if obviously convoluted; but the discount is apparently "not aligned" with my billing cycle! One quarter per year I receive only one month's discount. The subsequent bill always has five months' worth instead of three, resulting a lumpy distribution of payments across the year for a service which should be so simple.

There's also a set of other discounts to bear in mind when trying to work out what you should be paying - in my case one for using Direct Debits, and another for paper-free billing. Except without notifying me they've stopped the paper-free discount (well, I guess that's one way of simplifying things.) Again, these are listed separately and bloat out the calculations needlessly.

It's quite something when I think that my Internet and mobile phone providers manage to just give a simple, monthly bill that's much easier to understand and can take the payments monthly too. So it's not as if it'd be hard to do.

Also agreed on the website angle - when I last tried to email BT they'd made the process incredibly complex. I first had to jump through a set of FAQs, none of which were actually what I wanted. I had to second guess which category they'd put my topic in. Thankfully they've improved this slightly now with a great big "contact" button during the process. All such companies are interested in reducing their manned customer support burden, by guiding customers to genuine FAQs first. But cases such as these you can't help wondering if they sit back content to see support call volumes dropping, thinking customers have found their answers, while people have actually just been defeated by the complexity of the system and given up...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 13

I would like to heartily second this complaint. the layout of BT bills is appalling. It is a premium service and certainly charged at premium rates and the bill is just disgusting. Impossible to fathom, it is deliberately confusing, in my opinion. Refunds, add-ons, usages, packages. What a load of s+#*. BT should go and look at Green Energy, their bills set the standard for plain English. BT could learn a lot from them. The minute Green Energy provide broadband and phone, they will have my business. Do better, BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

you are replying to a 4 year old post
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

@pauljoecoe wrote:

If a company advertisies something at £4.99 permonth why not put it on the bill as £4.99 per month?

The first bill is almost always higher than normal as it usually covers more than a month.

See  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13866/~/why-is-my-first-bt-package-bill-more-than-i-e...

It covers all charges from activation date to billing date, plus advance set charges for 1 month ahead. From then on you are always paying the set charges 1 month in advance and variable charges one month behind. 

0 Ratings