cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeWalton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

New to BTFon: activation

Have BT Broadband Option 3. Just used the iPhone application to 'opt in our Btinternet.com account. Am I right understanding that BT remotely does something to our wireless router to activate it as a BTFon access point? If so, how do I know when this has happened? Can I access the PC Router software to know when all is done? Thanks.
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: New to BTFon: activation

Hi MikeWalton, welcome to the forum.

Your router will share a segment of your bandwidth with the Fon community.  To check this has happened, you will see it your hubs has wireless key signal and BTOZ/Fon as available.  (Non fon registered show only the wireless key).

Your postcode will show on the Fon map eventually, but the map is not a reliable record of active membership. 

(If your ever reset your home hub, you'd be best opting out and then into Fon again).

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
H_Dawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

Also, when you opt-in to FON, you can use your details within 5 minutes to log into hotspots, but it can take up to 72 hours for your hub to become active as a hotspot.

0 Ratings
MikeWalton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Thanks Allan and H_Dawg. :-). Allan, you state "To check this has happened, you will see it your hubs has wireless key signal and BTOZ/Fon as available". Scuse my ignorance- but how do I see that? I have no visible application on my PC (running Vista). Is there some software I should be able to see on my PC which shows the inner workings of my BT Connect hub? Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

MikeWalton, I use XP and use a HTC HD2, so cant answer from experience only theory.

When connecting your laptop out and about, you will doubtless see a number of hubs and other ISP users routers visible as potential connections to choose from.  When at home your wireless key will show and a 'BTOZ/Fon' option - which we be your opted in hub quite probably.  Before your opted in, what did you see at home beside your hub wireless key?

With the mobile, you have data connection and wi fi to choose from, the wi fi will show as above, and should include your wireless key and opted in hub.

Hope that makes sense.  A vista. i phone user will be able to describe what you see in precise detail, but the principle is the same. 

AQ.

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 16

@Mike

I take it that you don't have wireless capabilities on your PC - you use an ethernet cable only?

There's every chance that BTFon & Openzone were already active on your hub. The reason I say this is because "All new BT Total Broadband customers will be automatically opted into BT FON meaning you can use your Wi-Fi minutes as soon as your Broadband is set up. Existing customers who have taken the service since March 2009 will already be members of BT FON unless they have opted out".

You can check if they are being transmitted from your hub by simply using your PC to access the hub manager - http://bthomehub.home/ From the home page look for "BT FON" and check it says "Active".

As AQ wrote, your mobile should also see these signals. How - I don't know but I presume there is an application either already on the phone or downloadable.

for example, you phone should of seen: BTHomehub2-****(your unique SSID), BT Fon and BT Openzone as all these connections would be available from your hub.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
MikeWalton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Fantastic. Now I understand. Thanks so much Allan
0 Ratings
MikeWalton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Thanks DS. You're correct. I have no wireless connection on my PC; it connects to the hub vie Ethernet cable. The actual BT hub itself is around 5 years old. Could it be that it is an
early hub device and is not able to provide the BT Fon connection functionality?

I'm away for cpl days currently so not able to try to access the Hub manager from my PC right now; I'll try to access http://bthomehub.home/ when I'm back home. Thanks for yr clear advice 🙂 Mike
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Sounds like you have the v1 hub - I do - some say its the best one ever issued.   If you have been in contract that long you should have been issued free another hub.  I doubt that is the problem though. If you reset your hub, although 'you' are stil in Fon, your hub is not, so you have to opt out and then opt in again.

Have you changed the default (as it then was) hub password from admin to one of your own choosing?

With the v1 hub you have to opt into Fon (as you have done).

Should'nt be a problem here, but DS will have good advice to offer.  Opt in usually takes 24/48 hours, longer to appear on the Fon map.  Your i phone should pick up your wireless key and BTOZ/Fon signal as being available when opt in is complete.

AQ.

0 Ratings
MikeWalton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Thanks DS. I'm still stuck. Yes - it is ired with ethernet cable. I have never reset my hub. I've had this hub for around 5 years. Never received any upgrade or replacement. I have tried to access the Hub Manager as you suggest by typing http://bthomehub.home/ into my IE session but I just get the follwoing error message :"Oops! Internet Explorer could not find bthomehub.home". Internet via wired connection is fine and my iPhone is still connecting fine through my primary BTHomeHub-9B60 wifi connection as well. Despite BTFon apparently being opted-into (accoring to both the BTFon website and my iPhone BTFon application) I am not seeing any BTHomehub2-****(unique SSID) as a secondary WiFi network.

All very odd as a) seems I can't 'see' my hub via IE (or indeed Chrome, Safari or Firefox!) in order to access the hub manager and b) despite BTFon stating i am opted-in - there is no secondary BTFon WiFi conncetion. Maybe  need to call BT customer support 9...fear and dread in my mind as i write that!  😉  )  Cheers  Mike

0 Ratings