cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

New to SmartHub.... not going well

Go to solution

I've had BT FTTC since about 2013. Before that I had fibre with an independent provider who used the BT network so I had a BT Openreach modem and my own router. When I signed up with BT I didn't bother with their HomeHub, I just reconfigured my existing kit.

In the past few months I started having the occasional internet dropout, only lasting minutes or seconds even. The router seemed fine and I wondered if the 7 year old modem was playing up A few weeks ago my BT contract was due for renewal so I got them to send me one of their SmartHubs. It was quite easy to set up and things like the PC, printer, TV etc are all fine but my wife and I are have a lot of trouble with our mobile phones (We both have Samsung S7's) Every time we leave the house and return, they never connect to the network without a lot of trouble. The phones always indicate they are connected to the correct network but there is no data flow. Sometimes turning wifi off and on the phone works. Sometimes restarting the phone works. Sometimes I have to tell the phone to forget the network and use the WPS feature to connect again. One thing I've noticed is that when the phone is showing connected but isn't actually, when I go into the network advanced properties (on the phone) it is reporting the wrong router address. It shows xxx.xxx.x.251 instead of xxx.xxx.x.254. When the phone finally connects properly is displays the correct address. 

Is this problem fixable or do I have to go back to my previous modem/router setup. And if I do have to go back, can I purchase a new modem somewhere? I haven't had any internet dropouts since I've been using the SmartHub so maybe the modem did have a problem. Thanks in advance for your help.  

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: New to SmartHub.... not going well

Go to solution

Have you turned off Smart Setup on the hub?

Don't use WPS to connect, 'forget' the network and enter the wifi password manually on your phones.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks. Smart Setup is on. Should it be? I'll try setting up the phones manually. Not related but I had trouble accessing 192.168.1.254 initially. It wouldn't recognise it in Chrome but it was fine using Firefox.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

No, switch Smart setup off, it is the most useless piece of functionality and causes untold problems but BT won't listen and have it enabled by default on the hubs.

Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

This might not be relevant but it is worth checking as regards to your phones, do you have the BTWifi app installed. If you do make sure you have it set in the app's settings to connect to your home network when in range. 

Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Well I've turned off Smart Setup and configured the phones manually and it still won't reconnect to the network after we have been out somewhere. It indicates that it is connected but there is no data transfer. We do actually have an app installed on the phones called "wif-fi prioritizer" which connects to certain favourite networks when in range. It works fine but I think the issue here is with the Smart Hub. I think I'm going to have to revert to my router/modem setup and perhaps buy a new modem.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Have you deleted your old Homehubs connection from the phones and the app you mentioned.

You could also try "forgetting" the Smarthub connection on the phone then carry out a soft reset of the phone by pressing and holding the “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons for eight to twenty seconds and the device will eventually turn off. This will clear out the cache. After the phone restarts make the wireless connection but do not use WPS, enter the wireless password manually.

A soft reset will not erase any data on the phone.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I would try un-installing the wifi prioritiser  app, seems like an unnecessary complication to me.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I have not had any previous Homehubs in my house. I used a BT modem and my own router. I will try a soft reset on my phone later. Re the wifi prioritiser app, it worked perfectly with my router. I found it was needed because when I got near home, sometimes the phone (on BT mobile network) would detect a neighbours Homehub and connect to that rather than my own network.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Your phone should not connect to any network that it has not previously been connected to.

If you have the BTWifi app installed, uninstall it and see how you get on and also "forget" any BTWifi connections that show up on your phone.

0 Ratings