cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ukfinchman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

New user of bt cloud for music but M4a files wont play?

Go to solution

Downloaded all my iTunes files to bt cloud. M4a file types won’t play on my iPad in the BT Cloud App but mp3 will. The m4a files and are not protected as they a ripped off cds I own. Does bt cloud/music not support the m4a files?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
NeilO
Message 2 of 8

Re: New user of bt cloud for music but M4a files wont play?

Go to solution

@Ukfinchman .m4a files are supported by BT cloud. I found this post that suggests this issue may be caused by the files being protected by DRM.

0 Ratings
Ukfinchman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Might be the case for a few songs I downloaded from iTunes years ago but most of the files that won’t play are ripped directly off my own cds, surely they won’t be DRM protected? 

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@Ukfinchman can you check one of the songs in question in iTunes to see if it's DRM protected? I found this guide in google.

How to tell if a song is DRM protected in Itunes?
Note: This tutorial is based on iTunes 12.4.
  1. Open iTunes.
  2. Select “View” > “Column Browser” > “Show View Options“.
  3. Select the “Show Columns” drop-down menu.
  4. Select “File” > “Kind“.
  5. Now you should now have a column named “View“. Each song will have something in this field.

0 Ratings
Ukfinchman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I had checked this already and they are “Apple lossless audio file” kind which is exactly as I ripped them off my CDs but when I try to play them in the BT Cloud nothing happens. They just show as playing but the clock showing how far through the song is stays at zero!

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Ukfinchman sorry about that, if you give the cloud helpdesk a call they'll be able to get this looked into. You can get them on 0800 500 3114 9am to 9pm Mon - Fri 9am to 6.30pm Sat and Sun

Post back and let us know how you get on. 

0 Ratings
Ukfinchman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Finally managed to speak to someone at BT who know about the cloud only to find out that while they support M4a files, they don’t support them when they are of an “Apple Lossless” type. So if I want to use the BT cloud to play my music I have to convert about 5000 tracks to a different format. Don’t think I’ll bother 😡.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back and letting us know @Ukfinchman. I'm sorry we weren't able to resolve this.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings