cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kajo123
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Newbie questions - infinity 1, homehub5, YouView+ - what cabling do I need?

Hi all, hoping someone can give me a dummies guide here!

We've just signed up for BT Infinity 1, got a HomeHub5, delivered, set it up and it is (more or less) working (ish). It is in the hallway at the master phone socket. It's not at the predicted 'infinity' speeds, but it's passable at around 5 or 6/mbps.

We've now added BT TV (entertainment plus), and are awaiting delivery of the YouView+ box (and will include BT Sport etc).  This will be situated on the far side of the lounge.

Do we need to buy an additional cable to link the HomeHub5 all the way from the hallway, round the skirting boards, all the way round the lounge to where the TV is?

The TV is *not* internet enabled (as far as I know!), but is a samsung HD TV.  I also now have a suspicion that the TV aerial we have at the moment isn't a digital freeview aerial - we use a humax box for our freeview channels at the moment -  in which case I guess we'll have to get a new aerial installed. So any advice on this also appreciated!

Can anyone tell me what (if anything) we will need here in terms of cabling to link the HomeHub5 to the YouView+ box? The Help i found on the BT pages seemed to refer to all different sorts of routers and modems and sockets that have different ports from what I've got.

Thanks,

Kajo

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Newbie questions - infinity 1, homehub5, YouView+ - what cabling do I need?

The cable supplied with the YV box is 10m and is quite thin so can fit round skirting etc. If you don't want a cable you can use Powerline Adaptors (PLAs) which use the mains ring to deliver the signals, doesn't always work on older rings. BT will say they prefer the use of a cable and don't support PLAs but they mention the use of PLAs in the YouView setup guide. If you are already using a Humax Freeview PVR, is it Twin Tuner? then the aerial should be okay for Youview.
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

5 or 6/Mbps is NOT an Infinity service - something is amiss here.

What was your 'guaranteed' minimum speed when you signed up?

stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Also if you can get the Freeview channels via your box your aerial is fine.
5-6mbts is not infinity

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

There is no such thing as a "digital" aerial.  That was just a marketing term for a standard wideband aerial.  The term was invented to try to sell new aerials to gullible people when Freeview first started.  If your current aerial works, it's fine.

As others have stated, 5-6M is well below the acceptable minimum speed for Infinity.  The mininum is 15M.  Most lines can get rather more than that.

BT recommends a direct wired connection for BT TV.  Long ethernet leads are available from any decent computer store.  Alternatively, many people have had success with powerline adaptors (which send the ethernet signal through the mains wiring), but if it doesn't work well enough over your mains wiring, BT won't help you.

stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Are your speeds still 5mbs?

Helpful Post?
kajo123
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Thanks all!

It all arrived yesterday, the 10m ethernet cable is *just* long enough to reach round to the HH5...and we are all working, even BT Sport HD seems pretty good!  We could do with perhaps a 12m cable ideally, so I might look into getting one of those some time, but for the moment, we are fine.

I'm still only getting very poor BB speeds (5-6mbps), but apparently i'm still within the 10 days 'tuning up' period and it should improve over time?  For now, it's usable (although clearly not what i'm paying for - was told 26mbps - 38mbps!), but if things don't improve in the next few days i'll stick something on the appropriate forum for infinity speed problems, just in case there's some limiter on at the exchange or something.

Thanks for all the help and reassurance guys - very much appreciated!

Kajo

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

Even during the tuning up period you should get more than 5-6mb.
0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Has your speed improved at all?

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Is the 6Mbps on a device connected by wireless? Wireless reception can be affected by many things.

A single BT TV HD channel will require approx 7.5Mbps. If you can record two HD channels simultaneously and there is no picture break up when you play them back then that implies your connection speed at the HomeHub is at least 15Mbps and you are on Infinity speeds.
0 Ratings