cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Echilon
Message 1 of 8

NewsDemon Usenet

I swapped from BT Broadband to Infinity today and am loving the speed so far. One thing which I don't understand, however, is that since the switch, I'm unable to connect to any of the NewsDemon Usenet servers. Is this some sort of filtering/censoring on BT's part and are there any non-censored usenet servers which they do allow if so?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: NewsDemon Usenet

i have no problem with giganews
0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

you should not have any restrictions. Not sure why you cannot access those sites. The only issue you may have is that your username from your previous ISP (Demon?) will no longer be valid

ptan

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Do you have a subscription to those servers, or were they just provided by your previous ISP?

I know BT blocks access to its news servers if you are not logged on from a BT IP address, and i wouldn't be surprised if other ISPs do the same.

BT's servers are at news.btinternet.com, but be aware that downloads from binary groups are heavily throttled (even for someone who isn't on Infinity).

0 Ratings
ukfrogman
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Paid for news.individual.net 10 euro's per year works fine.

Regards,

Frogman
0 Ratings
swaber
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

no problems with newshosting . bt only throttle p2p

0 Ratings
Echilon
Message 7 of 8

It turns out the reason I was unable to connect was due to my NZB server retaining the DNS settings from my old router. The default gateway changed to the new router. Once I updated this everything worked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Glad you found the answer if you ever need any further help please post back 😉
0 Ratings