Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 18

Re: Nexus 5 and/or Kit Kat

I think it's 4.4.2 that's a problem

i have the app on my Nexus 4 which was installed on original build - it still works, but get lot of echo through it and on play store it now says now compatible.

0 Ratings
salty12
Beginner
Message 12 of 18

ho do i side load BT SMART TALK?

0 Ratings
andrewparkeruk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

SeanD, is the incompatability issue the Nexus 5 or KitKat 4.4.n? 

I have posted a thread https://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Out-About/BT-SmartTalk-app-Android-KitKat-4-4-2-lt-gt-Your-device-isn... for this error on my spouse's Nexus 4

<!> Your device isn't compatible with this version.

Andrew

0 Ratings
JacquiT
Community Manager - Retired
Message 14 of 18

Hi andrewparkeruk

I have asked the product team for you and the issue is with Kit Kat, a fix is currently being worked on but I can't give you a fix date yet but have been told they are aiming for the end of January all being well.

Thanks

Jacqui

BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andrewparkeruk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Thank you for your response JacquiT.

A little careless of your colleague SeanD to suggest it was model (Nexus 5) related.

Significantly careless of BT's app developers to ignore a major release of Android (KitKat).

If BT is unable to provide a wroking SmartTalk for Android app before the end of January-2014, how does that affect this statment:

Free calls from your mobile with BT SmartTalk 
From 4 January you can get 60 minutes of free mobile calls every month with the BT SmartTalk app.4You will get these calls every month across 2014. You can save money on calls from your mobile to 0870, 0845, 0800 numbers, UK* landlines or mobiles. Sign up before 31 January 2014.

Andrew

0 Ratings
JacquiT
Community Manager - Retired
Message 16 of 18

Hi andrewparkeruk

Just wanted to reply to you on your last post, your comments regarding the information with us stating that the issue was only with the Nexus 5, I think (but not 100%) that this was correct at the time of posting (early Dec) as there was only the Nexus 5 that had kit Kat on it,  since then other devices have acquired the new version.

The product team tell me that the problem they have with any new Android and IOS release is that Google and Apple are never overly forthcoming with their update information so many app developers have to wait and see if their app works with the new version and then work to provide fixes when it doesn't.

I know the fix for SmartTalk is being tested and it's a very valid point you make with regards to the offer, so hopefully I will have an answer for you soon as I have sent your question on to the team for a response.

Hope this helps for now.

Many Thanks

Jacqui

BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andrewparkeruk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Thank you JacquiT.

As a sometime software tester for Apple, I can tell you that your product team appears to be spinning you (and us) a line!

Looking forward to hearing about the 60 minutes deal. It would be bad news if Android KitKat users were denied access to this offer simply becuase the BT SmartTalk app had failed to be developed for that platform in a timely manner.

All the best, Andrew

0 Ratings
AdamB_uk
Beginner
Message 18 of 18

Is there any chance of putting the fact that it smarttalk is incompatible with Android 4.4.2 in your marketing emails or on the main smarttalk website (in the FAQs at least)? This forum discussion is tucked well away. Phoning the helpline was not particularly helpful either (was told that old phones such as the Nexus 5 were no longer supported...?).

I think BT should be more up front if there is an issue like this. We know everyone has problems keeping up with software changes, but hiding this info away on community forums is not useful.

A little more resource spent on providing an advertised service and less on the marketing of it might give more credibility.