cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 52

Nighthawk (R7000) vs Asus RT-AC68U

Do these routers work with BT Infinity 2? Would I still need the modem? 

0 Ratings
51 REPLIES 51
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 52

Re: Nighthawk (R7000) vs Asus RT-AC68U

Providing they support PPPoE connections then they will be OK with Infinity.

Yes you would still need your modem.

0 Ratings
dja1000
Contributor
Message 3 of 52

Personally I had a ton of issues with asus modem, constant disconnections, and reboots, I had to remove it and send it back, and eventually had to get BT out. On the other hand I have a dark knight router with eci modem and am now loving infinity, connection has been solid for 12 days.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 52

If you had to eventually get BT out presumably you had a fault that was not related to the Asus modem.

0 Ratings
dja1000
Contributor
Message 5 of 52

Yeah the original problem was my HH5, the asus modem did not help if anything it was worse. I replaced it with the eci the day before the engineer came, he gave my line a clean bill of health and happily reset it.
0 Ratings
veryannoyingname
Beginner
Message 6 of 52

n

netgear nighthawk R7000 works fine with btinfinity 2 and yes you need the modem

0 Ratings
Rottie
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 52

@veryannoyingname wrote:

n

netgear nighthawk R7000 works fine with btinfinity 2 and yes you need the modem

I'll second that. 🙂

I upgraded to a Nighthawk from my previous Netgear WNR3500L yesterday and so far, so good. 🙂

The Nighthawk is a much better router if you're a gamer, like me. Netgear's QoS in this router is absolutely spot-on. I actually managed to get host in quite a few games of CoD:Ghosts on the 360 yesterday evening, something that was as rare as rocking horse poop with the 3500L, despite having a 80/20 IP profile and throughput of 77.3 UL/17 DL and a ping to places like google.co.uk and bbc.co.uk of 5-7ms.

Bottom line: If you can afford the wallet hit (currently £169.99 in PC World) then get one of these beasts. You will not regret it. 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 52

So is it just as simple as plugging it into the modem?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 52

You need to plug the router into the modem then enter the router management pages and set up a PPPoE connection and put in the user name: bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

0 Ratings
Rottie
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 52

@GeekOfBroadband wrote:
So is it just as simple as plugging it into the modem?

Hi again,

As gg says, all you really need do is connect to the white OR modem and login to the Nighthawk's config pages, by pointing your browser at either http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 then just run the setup wizard and the Nighthawk will detect your connection type as DSL over PPPoE and you would then need to input the username and password that you use to access your infinity service (typically this is username:bthomehub@btinternet.com password:bt, but the password can be anything of your choosing, as long as you don't leave the field blank)

After you've done this, the Nighthawk will tell you that it's successfully I would stronly recommend that you also upgrade the router's firmware to the latest one available. You will see an option to upgrade the firmware at the top of the page - If you clidk on this, then the firmware will automatically download and install from the Netgear servers and the Nighthawk will reboot once this is done.

Out of the box, the Nighthawk's wi-fi (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) is secure and enabled, and the "Guest" network is disabled as standard, so there is no need for you to worry about outsiders jumping on your WLAN whilst you're setting up the router. Usually, the pre-configured passcode is secure enough for most people's purposes, but it is up to you if you want to change this.

I would, however, change the default SSID of the Nighthawk, which in my case was "Netgear5G", in case there are similar SSIDs around you, but again, this is purely personal choice.

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings