cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Nightmare trying to get a new line connected for an 87yr old with dementia

Please excuse the lengthy post but I have just moved my 87 year old father who has dementia in to care home and trying to get a BT line installed in his room is proving to be an utter nightmare. The first order (Order number ***EDITED***) I made online for a new line was cancelled by BT with no reason given. The second order I made (selecting the option of taking over an existing line at the property) has also hit the buffers. I spoke to a very helpful person yesterday who told me an order was in place and is due to go live on 1st September (Order number ***EDITED***). This afternoon however I received a call from someone stating there is a problem with the order owing to his room number (Room 9) not being listed on the database and the issue was being passed to the back-office team and it would take another 5 days to find out if the order can be provisioned or not! The home my father has moved in to was built 3 years ago and is listed on the BT database, his room has a phone socket and other residents have BT phone and broadband services connected either side of his room. Please can someone clarify exactly what the position is and if there is any way I can get a priority installation for a vulnerable person (I did look for what services BT offer for vulnerable elderly people - there seems to be plenty of help, but only once the service is live). Thank you.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5

Re: Nightmare trying to get a new line connected for an 87yr old with dementia

Hi @Wilberforce,

We can certainly look into all of this for you. It's not always possible to bring an appointment forward but we will look into it for you. You can reach us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods.

Thank you

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi DanielS,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and agreeing to look in to this for me. My issue is centered around the conflicting information I have been given, on the one hand I was informed verbally everything is set to go live on 1 Sept (although no confirmation email has been received) and then told we had to wait five working days before BT can even confirm they can provide a service at all - 5 working days to add a room number to an address?? I appreciate it may not be possible to bring forward an appointment, but just confirmation that a service can be provided (and when) would be very much appreciated.

Do I need to do anything further or just wait for you to reply? Sorry to be so stupid, but you mention clicking on your username and then on contact the mods.

Thank you very much.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Yeah just click on "DanielS" and there should be a button which says "Contact the Mods"

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

A brief update - a fourth order has now been placed which will hopefully complete without a hitch, although I am not holding my breath with the appalling service received to date. I was contacted this afternoon (by a very helpful person called Claire) who ensured the address has been correctly set up and an fresh order placed but this was not without its difficulties (system conflicts). BT should hold its head in shame for the problems encountered (lack of communication, misinformation and delays) in setting up a new service for a vulnerable person. 

0 Ratings