cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alnicol
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

No ADSL2+ for my new home?

I recently did a move from a property with 'Infinity' to a property without.

Having moved into the property, the speed is better than either BT or myself expected. This is what BT suggested I would get:

checker.png

The actual stats from my HH5 are:

Down Rate=8128Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=9.8dB, Up=23.0dB
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G.992.1(DMT)
Latency type: Fast

From what I can tell my line is ADSL, whereas it could support ADSL2+ (and possibly a small speed increase, but I can't get an attenuation figure from the HH5). I assumed that a new connection would automatically get ADSL2+ ... I'm on the unlimited package which suggests 'Up to 17MB download speed'.

I've only had the broadband for 7 days, so I'm not sure whether it will magically switch over at some point?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: No ADSL2+ for my new home?

Welcome to the forum

it won't magically change to adsl2/2+ and needs assistance.  Friom what you have posted you are doing far better than dslchecker and I think as estimate was below 8mb wholesale put your connection on adslmax. I agree that you would benefit from adsl2/2+. Mods will post a contact us link and see if they can get you moved to adsl2. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/7working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
alnicol
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your advice. I'll await the mods' link and reassess my faith in magic.

0 Ratings
OlgaC
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 8

Hi alnicol, 

Thanks for your post. 

I can help with this. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will take it from there.

Cheers,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings
alnicol
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks - I've sent the details and opened and 'incident'.

On a similar note, BT were nice enough to cancel my YouView subscription when we thought my ADSL wouldn't support it. Is 8mbps (or higher) sufficient to support SD YouView channels?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

8mb should be ok for youview. Ask the mods about it when they contact you. Failing that use the options team who are uk based 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
alnicol
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

One of the mods was in touch and apparently I have been moved to ADSL2+.

My router now reports:

DSL Link Up: Down Rate=8128Kbps, Up Rate=896Kbps; SNR Margin Down=10.1dB, Up=10.0dB

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G.992.1(DMT)
Latency type: Fast

I'm happy that my upload speed has increased, but I'm a little confused as to why the modulation still suggests ADSL rather than ADSL2+. Wasn't ADSL always able to do 896kbps up on the 'premium' service, or is this an ADSL2+ only feature?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

the 992.1 modulation certainly suggests adslmax but the upspeed >448kbps suggests adsl2  BT do not do higher than 448kbps on residential lines on adslmax

you can try contacting the mod by replying to any email you received and see if they can clarify for you

0 Ratings