cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

No BB Connection - BT HomeHub 1.1 incompatibility?????

Hi, 

We've had no broadband connection since friday. BT Help Line indicated a general service issue in the area (Kempsford) which would be resolved within 2-3 hours. Others BT users in the village confirmed similar issue. Saturday=still no service, after resetting the BT Home Hub numerous times as advised. Sunday= still no service. My wife called BT Helpdesk on sunday, who advised that there was no service issue in the area, and was directed to technical support. After some 'technical' investigation, they advised that the hub was no longer compatible with the BT Broadband network and we show upgrade to a new box ( with a 12month contract). 

Personally (as a highly experienced mobile network engineer), I find this explanation ludicrous and it seems like it is a ploy to sell us a new box and contract. I don't buy this explanation at all! Furthermore, we have had no BT broadband service for 4 days now, and I will be surprised to see if it works once the new box arrives. If the box was incompatible, then why did BT not advise of this earlier to avoid service interuption??

Interested to know if anyone else has had similar issues? Or if someone from BT could provide me with a more plausible explanation as to why I have not had service for 4 days now, and how you are going to compensate for this?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: No BB Connection - BT HomeHub 1.1 incompatibility?????

The home hub 1.0 is compatible, I use one myself.

I hope you do not use Broadband Talk or the hub phones, as they do not work with the new hub, and your BB Talk number will be ceased.

What lights are lit on the home hub?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith,

Thanks for quick response. We do use the hub phones on our HH1.1, so I'm now even more intrigued as they convinced my wife that we required a new phone (rental £1 per month), but obviously failed to tell her it would be a broadband hub phone. I wasn't at home, so couldn't question the operator on the help line.

From memory, all lights are lit (some flashing i.e. wifi) except the far left one, but just can't remember which light that was, but assume it is the internet connection light. I re-confirm when I get home later.

Regards

Simon 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

When you get a chance, could you provide your ADSL Statistics

BT do not rent phones any more, it sounds a bit fishy to me. They would not be promoting hub phones anyway, as they are obsolete.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi Keith,

Ok, I had a chance to look into the issue myself this evening, and I have resolved the problem. It would seem the 'helpdesk' got my wife to reset the HomeHub back to factory settings without telling her this, so the SSID was defaulted as well, which is why her iPhone and the home PC would not connect to the hub. They were trying to get her to connect to the Home Hub web interface, even though she told them that the PC was not connected via Ethernet cable. Extremely poor technical support/troubleshooting in my opinion. Their final verdict was that the HomeHub was faulty, or incompatible, according to my wife, which is definitely not the case!

Still not sure why the hub failed to resume normal service after the network outage on friday, despite numerous power resets on friday and saturday.

For what it's worth, I've dumped the ADSL statistics below. BT have already terminated my broadband talk service, which is why the light on the far left hand side is not lit i.e. none of the phones are connected anymore. BT also assured my wife that the new home hub would arrive today. NOT!! 

Don't suppose I'll ever get an official response from BT then?! Have a good mind to terminate my service with BT and move to a competitor.

Regards

Simon

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 1:41:13
Modulation:G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:17.97 / 13.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:11.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:7.5 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:22.0 / 11.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / TSTC