Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rhaego
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

No Broadband Connection - Flashing Pink Light of Doom

Go to solution

Hi all,

Ive had BT infinity for around a year now. It's worked flawlessly since Friday. Came home from work, tried going in the internet but a BT page came up telling me it couldn't connect. It advised me to ring BT services. I spoke to someone who did some tests but found there was maintance going on in my area' I'll have to wait up to 24 hours until it has been resolved.

Fine, no problem. 

24 hours later, I ring up and find out if there was a delay. They said there was no maintance in my area and it looks like my landline wasn't working. I did some prep before the phone call, and there was indeed a dial tone, so I came of the phone rather confused.

whats confusing me more is the fact that my BT hub is saying the following

"Has your BT Broadband been activated?"

You may have to wait until midnight on your activation day for the Broadband to be ready...

I checked "flashing pink light" on BT website and it follows the above message, that my BT service may not be activated.

My Broadband has been activated for nearly a year! I rang up just a minute ago and spoke to someone who did the diagnostics again and came to a different conclusion than his two previous colleagues. It wasn't my line, or activation issues, it's my smart hub BT Hub 6. He said he would send me out a new one, and this may take 3 - 5 days. 

Has as anyone else experienced this flashing pink light on their hub? All these mixed diagnostics from the BT staff have me rather confused and frustrated. 

Thanks for reading. I will provide further info if requested

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 28

Re: No Broadband Connection - Flashing Pink Light of Doom

Go to solution

Does your phone announce your correct no. when you dial 1470 17070?

Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

I don't have a phone connected to the line. The line is solely for internet access and has been so for the last year. When I dial the corresponding number of the line, there is a dial tone though

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

A phone is a must for fault finding. You cannot get a dial tone by ringing the number. You can pick up a phone for around £5 from a well known catalogue store.

Just having one plugged in can help prevent problems.

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution

@pippincp: Seconded! So few BB users do not realise the importance of having a cheap landline handset handy to diagnose faults & that having the odd call lessens the chance of failure.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

Tested with a phone. It's ringing when I dial the number.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

Ringing your phone number proves only that the exchage is sending out the ringing pulse, it does not mean it is reaching your master socket. You must test your line from the master socket to the exchange.

0 Ratings
Rhaego
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice. Just tried with a 7.99 phone I just bought from Argos! Rang the number, picked it up, and can confirm it's working. I then tried the number above and it repeated my own number.

I'm fairly confident it's my BT hub. The engineer said he would send a replacement out - no notification of this, as of yet. How long does it usually take?

0 Ratings
Rhaego
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

After more investigating, it seems like my PC doesn't think I have an ISP. When opening a web browser, I get security warnings and such. I have pinged my PC by the IP and there's definitely activity.

its like BT have stopped my service, but haven't disabled the line? 

BT simply cannot find the problem, but they've agreed to send me out a new hub by Wednesday. 

Any other suggestions?

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

@Rhaego wrote:

it seems like my PC doesn't think I have an ISP.

Well, you don't if the router isn't connected.