cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drwwphotoboy
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

No Broadband - Purple Flashing Modem Light, Checked Everything & All OK but BT say internal fault.

Hi

Suddenly, with no warning after 2 years without issue my BT Infinity broadband stopped working first thing on Dec 29th.

(BT Hub 3 + White Openreach infinity box into double main socket with built in Filter)

Modem Shows purple flshing light, power and WiFi show Blue lights.

White infinity box shows Power and DSL lights green / Lan1 light is green but flashes every few seconds.

Phone working, line clean without interference.

No issues in area.

Tried all approaches suggested in similar posts on Forum:

• Switched everything off and restart
  • Rebooted modem
  • Factory reset modem
  • Reset white Infinity box
  • Tried alternative cable from Modem to white infinity box.
  • Removed lower half of socket to reveal 'test socket' and connected DSL lead to this using alternative filter

Contacted BT who say no fault on line, must be in house and I should book engineer BUT could face a £130 callout charge.

Nothing has changed here - Broadband just stopped working - no messing with box or line or anything - nothing esle attached to line - only TV and computer attached to modem so don't see how fault can be in house??

Only thing is has HUB died ?? How can I check?

If Hub is dead would I face £130 charge for call out?

Can anyone help - can't afford £130 charge! PLEASE!

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: No Broadband - Purple Flashing Modem Light, Checked Everything & All OK but BT say internal

Welcome to this user forum.

Could be another on like this https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-2-WAN-Connection-Dead/td-p/1805...

The date it happened is the same.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Re: No Broadband - Purple Flashing Modem Light, Checked Everything & All OK but BT say internal

as you have separate modem try connecting to modem and see if it is hh3 that is the problem  this link explains

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Poor-upload-speed-literally-halved-from-whe...

@Keith_Beddoe  the date is 29/12 whereas the other link you posted is 23/12 it started so maybe not the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
drwwphotoboy
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thanks Keith / imjolly - just reading the 11 pages of Keith's link.

Yes mine worked fine on 28th and was dead when I got up on 29th.

Will try the suggestion imjolly makes re direct connection.

0 Ratings
drwwphotoboy
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi imjolly

Been trying direct connection as you suggested.

I'm on a MAC so using 'Network Preferences' and attempted to set up new PPoE service using 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' as username and 'BT' as password.

After about 2 mins of trying to connect is says 'Could Not Find a PPPoE Server'

Am I correct to think this suggest a PPPeO fault as would seem to be the issue in the thread Keith pointed me to??

(never set up a PPPeO connection before so hoping I've doine it right but is all seemed fine and iut tried to connect).

Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
drwwphotoboy
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Oh forgot to mention - the network set up had a box for "PPPeO Service Name' which I left balnk - it said 'provided by ISP when required) should I put something in there?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
drwwphotoboy
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Hi imjolly

Been repeatedly trying the direct connetion you suggested with no success for 30 mins.

Each time after about 2 mins of trying to connect the computer pops up a dialogue saying 'Could Not Find a PPPoE Server'

This was using PPoE with 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' as username and 'BT' as password.

Suggests not issue with home hub but perhaps similar PPPeO hookup issue similar to those with broadband failing on 23rd mentioned in Keith's link.

ANYONE else had issues starting early hours on 29th Dec ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
drwwphotoboy
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

UPDATE - 2nd Jan - my problem the same - purple flashing light and no internet since first thing on 29th.

I'm no longer posting to this thread as my problem is the same as the one on this post where I'm now posting my comments and updates.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-2-WAN-Connection-Dead/td-p/1805...

Thanks

0 Ratings