Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

No Contract Renewal Option Online

Go to solution

Hello All,

I am considering renewing my BB and TV contract to avoid the £5 per month for BT sport. However, when I try to do this this online the only option I get is to pay £5 per month.  It says your discounted BT sport price is £5 per month - place order. No mention of renewing the contract. 

I am following the renew link from MYBT which states - Manage your BT Sport options | BT

Renew your BT Broadband and TV contract today & you'll get BT Sport Pack for FREE! If you don't, you'll still get all the great action of the BT Sport Pack, but it'll cost you £5 /mth. Renew now to save £5/mth!

Anyone any ideas why I am not seeing the the proper option? 

Also, another a quick query .  Will I own the youview box after my orginal contract date is up, regardless of recontracting. I'm currently 1 year into an 18 month contract.  

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: No Contract Renewal Option Online

Go to solution

You can not renew your contract online. You should phone the Options Team 0800.800.030 and they should be able to help.

They can also renew/cancel or downgrade BTSport at the same time.

Once your initial contract term is finished you can keep the Youview box.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
You can renew broadband (and BT TV) contracts online if you follow the form to get the best discounted BT Sport. It should state it on one of the pages as you progress through the order, but before the final order submission.

However I wouldn't advise doing it that way as the online deal will just use your current package and won't get you any broadband discount for the full new minimum term. Any current discount in place will still end when originally planned to end. Better to talk to Customer Options and see what they can offer on a new broadband contract. You might get a cheaper base package and with a longer lasting discount.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
If you are a broadband and BT TV customer then the best BT Sport offer should be £0 not £5. This £0 offer requires you to re-contract both broadband and BT TV.

If using Sky TV for BT Sport then £5 is the best offer.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Note that the £5 charge is still a heavily discounted price, just not the best possible price for BT TV customers.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks both,

I will try the options team.  I just thought it was strange that link said renew to get BT Sport free and then that option is not available.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Update:

I just renewed via the options team and was pleasently surprised to find out that I only had to renew for 12 months, not the previously stated 18 months.  Not sure why this has changed, but the email I received in June stated:

If you do nothing, your BT Sport Pack will cost £5 a month from 1 August 2015. But you can get it for free simply by renewing your BT TV and BT Broadband contract for 18 months

Interestly I did phone CS back in June when I first got this email and they were certain on the contract length. It definitely 18 months.

So if anyone else is in the same situation, it would seem that the 18 month contract is longer required.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
I have found exactly the same. MyBT and email said 18 months. I talked to Customer Options and they said 18 months. I asked if it would change to 12 once we reached Aug and entered season 3. They said no it would still be 18.

Just the other day I got a letter now saying I only have to re-contract things for 12 months. Funny that! Just as we got to Aug as well. 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I haven't researched it a lot as my email notification from, BT was I need do nothing.

However if I look at the BT help section - 

How much does BT Sport cost?

• BT Sport Pack is free to BT Sport on BT TV customers who take BT TV for the first time, have re-contracted since 1st January 2015, or re-contract their existing BT TV and BT Broadband services for a minimum of 12 months.
  • If you're watching on Sky and you have BT Broadband, BT Sport Pack is £5 as long as you're within your BT Broadband minimum term. After that it's £11.75 per month unless you renew your BT Broadband minimum term, in which case it will continue to cost £5.
  • If you watch via the BT Sport app and online player or the BT Mobile app, BT Sport Pack is £5 per month.
  • If you don't have BT Broadband, BT Sport Pack on Sky will cost £19.99.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53767/~/manage-my-bt-sport-options

As for the 18 months v 12 months - it may be that some packages have an 18 month period as opposed to 12 months minimum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

That has changed from what it said over the last few weeks.

They definitely seem to have moved the goal posts as we have entered season 3. The stuff about Jan 2015 was not listed before and plenty of customers who had signed new contracts only a few months ago were told they had to re-contract again for 18 months (so that rule wasn't properly implemented for everyone if it was in place before).

The 18 month vs 12 month isn't due to the package as for exactly the same package (re-contracting your existing package) customers were clearly told 18 months before and that has now changed to 12 months. I have email, online form screenshots, and letter evidence of this. My guess that I've suggested before is that the 18 months was to ensure it covered all of season 3. Now that we have entered season 3 only 12 month contracts are required to achieve that. BT previously told me this wouldn't happen, but it seems to be exactly what has happened.

BT are perfectly entitled to change things over time, but it can certainly make it confusing for customers. Even at a single point in time there is conflicting information from different sources.

The original help text was repeated as part of this page.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/blank/a_id/53696/

0 Ratings