cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

No Dial Tone

What exactly produces a No Dial Tone fault on a landline.

I have a main socket wirh a BT Graphite phone plugged in there. The 3 subordinate phones are plugged into no other sockets but operate on wireless links to the main socket..

I have 3 extension lines which are NOT used. Can these non-active extension lines produce a No Dial Tone fault?

If the connection between the main socket and these extension lines is cut WITHIN the main box, will that restore the Dial Toneby itself?

Anybody got any answers?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: No Dial Tone

There are many things that can cause a NDT, usually the two most common causes are a disconnection somewhere or a Loop, aka Short.

Do you have an NTE for your master socket, if so remove the faceplate as that should disconnect your extension wiring (unless its star wired), then try a phone into the test socket. If its still NDT after that there will be a fault out to line somewhere.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

thanks

I'm concerned with the effect of  NON-USED extensions. An engineer removed the plate then, after some work, got a dial tone. That's all I really wanted. He tested the line & said the extensions were causing interference & cut them off within the box. BT are charging me £99 because they say the extension lines were CAUSING the NDT - i.e. stopping connection with BT. Is that possible?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

yes it is possible that the extensions could have caused a problem and if once the extensions were removed the dial tone returned the as the extensions are your responsibility
this is the reason for the charge
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

Yeah, its possible. I have been to many a job where I have found it was the customers extensions causing the fault.

0 Ratings