cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

No-IP.com and HomeHub5 DDNS not working

Go to solution

Getting nowhere to get the DDNS working using No-IP.com. I have seen a number of the posts and followed threads but after trying various permutations, resets, the HH5 resolutely returns "connection error" when connecting.

The No-IP.com client works fine on a port -open PC which validates this side of things and I will have to use this until I replace HH5 with a serious VDSL router I guess (considering Draytek 2860). Its poor show that the HH5 offers the DDNS function but fails to deliver.

Has anyone else recently got DDNS working with a recent BT Home Hub 5 (Type B) running software version v0.07.05.0A13-BT using No-IP?

Does anyone know the protocol by which HH5 communicates with the DDNS service providers? How do the DDNS providers interfaces differ? Has the No-IP.com authentication / protocol changed ?? 

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 31

Re: No-IP.com and HomeHub5 DDNS not working

Go to solution

Hi,

I setup DDNS to No-IP only yesterday with a Home Hub 5B on exactly the same software version as you have so it certainly works.

On the Home Hub do you see any error message displayed within the Advanced Settings-> Broadband-> Dynamic DNS page? I don't wish to sound patronising, but you have hit the "Apply" button after completing the username, password fields?

Also is there anything in the Home Hub event Log? You can see this from the Troubleshooting-> Event Log page and then selecting "DynDNS" from the "Category" drop down. Can you post anything from the log here so we can see the error?

The protocol used is essentially an HTTP request. It's explained on the No-IP Request Method page if you want the gory details, but I'm not sure it'll be overly helpful as you can't get to the guts of the Home Hub to see what it's sending, and so whether conforming to the protocol.

Regards

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution

Hi smf22, thanks for the reply.

I am reassured that your system works and have been around my settings again with same [fail] result. The DDNS service is currently working fine using credentials on a PC with the No-IP User Client. [I kill this whilst trying to commission the HH5, to avoid any access conflicts at the No-IP end. ]

The Advanced Settings>Broadband>Dynamic DNS page returns "Changes Applied" when I hit "Apply". The page behaviour is that after entering the DDNS host account information, the "Dynamic DNS service status" is " Connecting". When I then hit "Refresh" the "Dynamic DNS service status" changes to "Connection error - Execution error."

The event log has consistently recorded: "DDNS Status: error (the hostname xxxxx.ddns.net specified does not exist in this user accountor is not in the service specified in the system parameter"

If I enter three hostnames the error is listed three times, once for each hostname. I have tried single and three hostnames..

As you see I am using a free no-ip ddns extension of .ddns.net. Can I ask which hostname extension you have [successfully] used?

I use IE and Chrome - the result is the same - can I ask which browser you use.

I disabled Kaspersky and same result.

There is a question in my mind about the Username: field in the HH5 DDNS set up page. Is this "username" or the account email address? I have tried both and neither work. Whereas, with the No-IP DUC, both work. The www.No-IP.com log in also seems to work with both.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated! I am half a click away from the Draytek...!

Regards

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution

Hi,

Here's a screen shot of my setup so you can check against a working setup.

no-ip_ddns.png

I've been using the .zapto.org domain and I've just now added a host in the .ddns.net domain as a test in case it was an issue with that specific domain. In my case both the .zapto.org and the .ddns.net domains are successful.

On the home hub I typically use the "username" login, but I've also just tested this with my email address login, and again successful.

Below is the log of my connection attempts. Note that I saw the error you're getting (hostname ....zapto.org specified does not exist in this user accountor) at 17:40:16 yesterday when I deliberately set an incorrect password in the home hub.

Recorded events

Time and date Message
12:27:45, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
12:27:45, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
12:27:45, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
12:27:43, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
12:27:43, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
12:27:42, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
12:18:27, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
12:18:27, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
12:18:26, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
12:18:25, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
12:18:25, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
12:18:24, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
12:07:01, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
12:07:01, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
12:07:01, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
12:07:00, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
12:07:00, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
12:06:59, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
17:43:26, 16 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
17:43:26, 16 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
17:43:25, 16 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
17:40:16, 16 Apr. DDNS Status: error (the hostname ....zapto.org specified does not exist in this user accountor is not in the service specified in the system parameter)
17:40:16, 16 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
17:40:15, 16 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253

I guess double check the username and password, but I'm sure you've already done that. Otherwise not much help at this stage other than to say it does work Smiley Sad

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

If you use No-IP, then you can only use hosts that are permitted, and are specified on your No-Ip account.

Most free service only allow you to create one hostname, so in your case the only one you can enter in the home hub is the

xxxx.ddns.net

zapto.org would not be valid, which is why you see the error.

If you want to redirect a DDNS hostmame to another host, then you would have to set up an additional hostname on No-IP, then redirect that to the target host.

Not sure what No-IP calls these, as I use DynDNS, and they call them webhops.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

Hi Thanks Keith and SMF22 for your replies..

An enigma wrapped in a mystery, encrypted without a key.

I tried the zapto.org extension by creating it on the NOIP.com control panel. The PC client recognises this and I can connect successfully thru internet.

NOIP_hosts.JPG

I killed the PC client and then loaded the hostname into HH5 - hit Apply > hit refresh > get "connection error".

HH5_Ver3_DDNS.JPG

EventLog.JPG

Thinking it may be that prior use of the PC User client had in some way blocked another client (being the HH5) at the NOIP.com end, I then got a completely new NOIP account set up using another email address and created a new hostname within that account.

I mounted the new info  into HH5 (only, the PC client is still dead) and …. still the same result - "connection error". It's a bit weird that the UI only reports one errored hostname, repeated tries will show error for the other ones too)

I am kinda out of ideas for now. Maybe I will wait for, or cause the IP address to cycle and try again, to see if it is related to blocking at NOIP..

Thanks for your help!

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

I think its been reported before, that the home hub 5 will only accept one host name. I cannot find the post on the forum at the moment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

This was for the home hub 2, but the error probably was never fixed in later versions.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Programming-error-in-HH2-software-Dynamic-DN...

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe

The Home Hub 5B with the v0.07.05.0A13-BT software is working for multiple hosts to No IP. The following screenshot shows my original .zapto.org entry and two new entries (smf22 and smf33) that I've created.

hh5b_dyndns1.png

If I hit the refresh button on the HH DynDNS page and then look at the DynDNS log I can see the three entries being updated by the HH.

Recorded events

Time and date Message
17:03:31, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
17:03:31, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
17:03:30, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connected
17:03:30, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
17:03:29, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
17:03:29, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
17:03:28, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253
17:03:28, 17 Apr. DDNS Status: connecting
17:03:27, 17 Apr. DDNS Service name NoIP, Wan ip 217.X.Y.253

And if I look at the No IP hosts using a browser I can see the three are updated with a time entry that matches with the HH log (time zones aside).

dyndns1.png

dyndns2.pngdyndns3.png

As you mentioned though the hosts are already created through the standard No IP browser UI.

@straightwave

The only other thing I can think of trying is to change the password you're using. How many character classes does your password use? The one I'm using currently is pretty simple (and obviously insecure) and is only using two character classes, those being lower case letters and numbers. Perhaps you're using some special character that the HH doesn't like.

Regards

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming the multiple host issue.

SMF22 - Interesting point about the password, HH5 is now logged in to NoIP.com DDNS!!. Success, you fixed it..

I changed the NoIP password to a single class of upper case characters, and checked I could log in at the NOIP.com site, to verify that the new P: had been accepted.

I attempted to access the NOIP PC User Client with the new password,  but cannot log in  - "invalid Username or Password". I used the old password, and it allows access. Strange; different passwords for the NOIP account?

On the HH5 the new password initially  returned "Connection Error - Username or Password incorrect". But now returns "Connected"

I need to check a few other things before I am completely convinced and can close the case.. but anyway a huge step forward..!Smiley Happy

Regards.

0 Ratings