cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 31

Re: No-IP.com and HomeHub5 DDNS not working

Go to solution

Glad to hear you've made some progress. Keep us posted.

Regards

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 31

Go to solution

Hi. Ok so I have revised the NOIP password using allowed classes, mounted the three hostnames and the system tracks a forced IPaddress change. So far so good.

I don't get the restriction on NOIP password and clearly this is an issue when the formulation of the password to meet security needs takes you to the usual places to achieve obscurity and the unusual; you would expect  the HH5 to pass the password thru transparently to the 3rd party (NOIP.com) - but instead there seem to be some intervention around reserved characters. Interested to know why...

Hopefully the NOIP P: formulation rules can be made clear in the UI,  or otherwise fixed, by the HopeHub5 design people..

But anyway confidence increasing....

Thanks and Regards

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 31

Go to solution

Hi,

There's little to nothing in terms of password checking logic in the HH as far as I can see, other than checking the two passwords are the same. Presumably this is because the password is dependent upon the dynamic DNS provider, and is possibly different across DNS providers.

Adding this functionality for multiple providers whilst not impossible, is probably more pain than it's worth for BT. It would also mean any change in the provider password rules would require BT to change the code on the HH, which is not something BT or any other router vendor would really want to get into.

Good news that it's now working though. It would be appreciated if you could mark the thread as solved so other community members can benefit.

Regards

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 14 of 31

Go to solution

So the Home Hub is not compatible with certain characters used in the Dynamic DNS password field? Sounds like this need to be escalated to the Hub team.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 31

Go to solution

That seems to be the case, but @straightwave would need to comment on what characters and character classes were in use when working and non working configurations.

Do you know how the process to escalate this to the Hub team?

Regards

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 16 of 31

Go to solution

@smf22 wrote:

Do you know how the process to escalate this to the Hub team?

A moderator on this forum could do that if they choose.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 31

Go to solution

Hi aoxm84 

I initially had a string of 10 characters in I guess 4 classes, including one from the range ASCII Hex 20 - 2F. This worked perfectly using the NoIP tools.

The reported connection error was "... Execution error" which if taken at face value indicates the HH5 process tripping out, rather than a password bounce issue at the NOIP.com end. But then I would take anything at face value..

I am guessing, but presumably one / some characters from the ASCII set hex20-2F, 3A-40 etc cause the HH5 in some way obstruct the transmission. It may depend on password string length etc. Strange.

The page is weird also in the way that in a multiple host situation, it will only randomly show up as errored only one, not all..

aoxm84 and SM22 and all. 

I would recommend this is passed via moderators to hub support team. This has cost a huge amount of effort to resolve and in my view the HH5 - in  regard at least to this DDNS set up - does not accord with any reasonable expectation of behaviour, basic quality and - security. To think others would go thru same repeatedly, wasting time etc would I am sure offend BT's sense of quality and customer service. It needs at least a basic help text in the UI although that still leaves the security issue. Only my view of course.. Perhaps its already in the next support team sprint.

Regards.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 31

Go to solution

@aoxm84 wrote:

So the Home Hub is not compatible with certain characters used in the Dynamic DNS password field? Sounds like this need to be escalated to the Hub team.

The core software, which I believe is still derived from from the original SpeedTouch code as used on the original home hub, has a restriction on the characters that can be used.

The hub manager web interface interacts with the CLI, and full error checking is not carried out. So its possible to enter things into the web interface, which are subsequently rejected by the CLI, without any error messages.

Typically, embedded spaces are not allowed, plus some other ones. What character did not work, and I will try entering it into the CLI of my home hub 1, and see if it gives an error.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 31

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

In the limited checks I did, a preceding hash - (#) hex23 did not work; space - hex20 did work. In another test, conversely, I am pretty sure that a space before an end capitalised alpha - did work.. 

How do I get to the CLI? You mean telnet in?

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 31

Go to solution

I believe that Telnet is not possible on the home hub 5. I am using a home hub 1 on ADSL with an earlier firmware version that does allow Telnet.

I just tried tor create a new label with a # code in it, and the CLI rejected it as an internal error. A space is rejected in a label, but an _  (underscore) is fine.

It may depend on what context it is used. The user name and password information is stored in the dyndns.ini part of the user.ini configuration file, the password is converted to a hex string.

I doubt that its a bug in the HH5 firmware, more likely bad data input validation within the hub manager.

Its very unlikely the hub team would be interested.

0 Ratings