cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 31

Re: No-IP.com and HomeHub5 DDNS not working

Go to solution
Old thread I know but does anyone have more info regarding using noip and a home hub
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

Go to solution

@stpain wrote:
Old thread I know but does anyone have more info regarding using noip and a home hub

Which home hub version?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 31

Go to solution
Hi. I'm not currently at home but I can check specifics as soon as I'm back.

I'll try to give an overview of my setup.

Domain purchased from godaddy.
Nameservers set to use the noip ones (ns1 > ns4).
Zone created in noip for domain.
Noip update client downloaded and working.
nslookup returns my ip - so I assume there are no issues with noip.
Homehub has my noip login details and my password is lowercase letters and numbers.
I've entered my domain in the host box? As in my domain.com no host at the start?
I can see in the event logs it states about the domain not existing. It does show as connected under the dns tab.
I've got port 80 forwarded to a raspberry pi which has a working wordpress install using apache2 and mariadb etc (all working locally)
I do have a tplink switch between my hub and the pi but I've accessed a webcam using my ip from outside the lan so I don't think this is an issue.
I've got the servername and serveralias set in my apache2 000.conf as I'm just running this 1 site.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 31

Go to solution

Sorry, that is far too involved for me to help you with. Perhaps another forum member can help?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 31

Go to solution
Ok no worries.

I'll keep trying things.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 31

Go to solution

Hi . It was a while ago and I am not sure this relates to your issue.. I had an alarmingly bad experience with the BT HomeHub5. One of which was DDNS and accessing NoIP.com ; the problem was that I was (validly) using #, (hash) and other non -alphanumeric characters  in the password to log-in to NoIP.com. It seemed that the HomeHub5 was (invalidly) unable to process this password- I believe that it was using # and other characters in its internal software functioning and this was tripping the DDNS login transaction to NoIP.com.

From memory I think hash and space, maybe underscore too, were forbidden within any DDNS password.

When I changed to a simpler less secure alphanumeric  password it all worked.

After I got the HH5 working it proved unreliable on the DHCP front, failing to serve IP addresses in my system on many occasions, requiring reboot. Ditching HH5 and switching to a Draytek 2760 was the best thing I did and the home network functioning has been reliable since.  

Hope that helps. Good luck.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 31

Go to solution
Hi

I looked at getting a different router. Noob question here, can I just get a new router and plug it in? Does it require serious setup to work with BT broadband?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 31

Go to solution

@stpain wrote:
Hi

I looked at getting a different router. Noob question here, can I just get a new router and plug it in? Does it require serious setup to work with BT broadband?

Very easy with most routers.

Here are a couple of suggestions.

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL about £67

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html#specifications

If you only want single band wireless, then this one.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 for about £40 or less.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

They both work will all BT services, including BT YouView.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 31

Go to solution
Thanks for those links.

I just had a little Google and it seems I need to make sure it's a modem and router, then in the settings it just requires btbroadband@something being set.

So there are no technical codes or auth codes to get from BT themselves like when you unlock a mobile.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 31

Go to solution

If you are served by BT line / VDSL, it appears the service authentication to the broadband modem is purely by the  username string like

BTxyz@btbroadband.com

Check what your HomeHub has for its entry. and use this in the approriate field.

0 Ratings