Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

No Internet Access For Four Hours!

Hi Folks,

Yesterday afternoon at approximately 2:00pm, I lost my internet connection. I thought it would just be a 'blip' that would correct itself in a couple of minutes. How wrong I was! My connection was down for just over four hours!! Because of some critical work I had been doing beforehand, I went into panic mode. I checked the loss of connection on two separate machines and the problem was for real. Incidentally, if it hadn't been for Network Magic Pro installed on both PCs, I would not have known what had happened. I used to rely on the flashing blue icon in the system tray but that only indicates network activity.

The longest I've ever lost my internet connection before this occurrence was about one minute and this was caused by interference from a neighbour using the same wireless channel as me. Easily remedied.

Although I live in Bracknell, I suspect this problem was more widespread but I have no way of knowing.

Did anyone else witness this problem?

Anon

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
superhoop
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: No Internet Access For Four Hours!

Mine went dow yesterday and after a call to Call cente they arranged for an engineer visit. It came back up again shortly after the call but only for a mo then back down again. Blank internet light on the hub, competely dead and no connection. Have made a few enquiries amongst other BT peeps I know and it saeems there was a wider problem. Not sure what part of the country you are in but I know of several users in the SE who experienced this and some have been experiencing for a week or so now. The call centre lady even mentioned there were problems in England. My engineer visit is Friday so we'll see what occurs. I'll post any findings and fingers crossed its easily resolved.

0 Ratings
Anon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi superhoop,

Thanks for the feedback.

When you say "Not sure what part of the country you are in but I know of several users in the SE who experienced this and some have been experiencing for a week or so now", I mentioned above that I'm in Bracknell, which is in Berkshire. I'm 30 miles West of London.

I do not use a BT Hub. Instead, I have a Netgear DG834G.

I am determined to get to the bottom of this.

Anon

0 Ratings
Anon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Hi Folks,

I should have added that over the last 24 hours (including a few minutes ago), I have repeatedly tried to contact BT Broadband via their e-mail option on their website. After waiting several minutes each time, I have been unsuccessful. The e-mail form just will not load. What on earth is going on? Needless to say, I am trying to contact BT Broadband in relation to the subject material of this thread.

They tell me that patience is a virtue. Oh yeah!

I'll keep trying.

Anon

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 8

Hi Anon,

Sorry you have had difficulty getting help with this.  I will be happy to lend a hand and try and get the connection back working for you again. 

Have a look through the information here and let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
superhoop
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Ah, sorry Anon, missed the blatant bit about which area you were in! Hope your issue is solved soon. My connections still up and down..mostly down... I'll post following engineer visit tomoz (if they show) with any update that might be helpful

0 Ratings
superhoop
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Fair do's, praise when due.. engineer arrived Thursday during agreed period. Very nice chap, explained what he was doing and issue resolved. Fingers crosseds all been good so far. Problem was serious noise on line. Chap said there appeared to have been an upgrade but no-one had been told and so when users whack the ol hub on an off it contributes to the issue, or at lest had in my case. Very happy with service to resolve the fault. Hope everyone receives same standard.
0 Ratings
Anon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Hi Folks,

I am convinced that the problem I experienced on Tuesday 6 July was a BT network issue. As I said above:

"My connection was down for just over four hours...". After that time, normal service was resumed.

Fortunately, it hasn't gone down since, says he touching wood (my head!). As john46 commented in the Noise margins thread:

"...during the general network outage on Tuesday...", so clearly the problem was not unique to my PC.

Any further feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Anon

0 Ratings