cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

No Internet access BT Home Hub 5

I have a problem that has just occurred over the last 3 days. My computers, BT vision box, sky box and NAS connected to my home hub 5 via ethernet or powerline have no Internet access, they will  at times see the NAS, although currently they do not. Occasionally they will get Internet access via wifi.  All my other devices,  smart phones and tablets are fine,  via either 2.4ghz band or 5ghz band. No problems here. 

On occasion attempting to access a webpage on wired devices I get a message that there has been a dns server error. Until  3 days ago everything worked fine since the purchase of the hub 5 4 months ago. I have so far tried:

1. Restarting the hub

2. Resetting the hub.

Neither have worked.

Any help appreciated.

Steve.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: No Internet access BT Home Hub 5

I'm still in need of some help although I have made some progress. As far as I can tell all my devices that are wired to the HH5 that are not windows PCs now have Internet access, such as the sky box, youview and games consoles. However my windows 8.1 and 7 laptops /PCs do not, and anything run on them such as my squeezebox server, is unavailable to my squeezeboxes which are wired. The windows machines have 2 connections associated with the icon at the bottom left of the screen; my actual SSID (wireless) and a second SSID 2 (wired). Is there a way to delete that second SSID in the hope that the HH5 will then connect to the correct SSID?

Steve.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

PS also I cannot access the HH5 Web page via ethernet, but can via the wireless connection. No idea if that is relevant.

I'm going to give it another 48 hours and then if I haven't solved the issue then I'll order a new router, perhaps something like the TP-LINK Archer D9 AC1900 will fix the problem and prove reliable..
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

is the device trying to connect both wireless and wired hence the 2 ssid.  if so you need to disable the method not in use - either the wifi card/adapter or the network card

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for the reply, appreciated as I am running out of ideas. I've just disabled the wireless network card. I am now left with just the one network listed the wired network; however it remains identified as SSID 2 with, what windows 8.1 labels it as, limited and without internet access. It does have access to my NAS and squeezebox (for the time being at least).

I am beginning to think that the reset back to factory has fixed the initial problem created by the HH5 developing a firmware or software issue and that the windows PCs now have an extra network that is confusing them. If I could delete that SSID 2 network the problem might go away? Thing is how to do that in Windows doesn't appear obvious? Anyone have any ideas? Replacing the HH5 will do so but that is an expensive option given that I suspect there is now nothing wrong with it....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

To remove your connection:

1) Go to the Control Panel.

2) Select the Network and Sharing Center.

3) Click the "Manage network connections" tab.

4) Look for the old network connections you wish to remove.

5) Click on the old connection you wish to remove.

6) Click the "Remove" button.

7) Confirm your selection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Hi, thanks for the post. I've just tried to follow the instructions you've provided and on both my windows 7 and 8.1 machines the only option offered is to manage wireless connections. Is this unique to Windows 7 and 8? I don't seem to have the option to manage wired connections?

I've lost wired links to my Sky box and other devices again. Wireless remains solid... Smiley Frustrated

Spoiler

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Sorry, my mistake. I just scanned your problem and misread it as the wireless connections you wanted to delete.

It can be a problem to delete LAN connections. It is probably easier just to disable it.  You should locate the connection by going to Network & Sharing then click on "Change adaptor settings" , highlight to one you don't want and click "disable this connection".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Unfortunately it's the wired connection that stopped working in the last few days that I'd like to keep and fix - it's faster. I'm pretty sure that this is windows related now but have no idea how to fix it other than replacing the router Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Do you have a wired connection on any computers?

You have lost me with what connections you have and don't have.

When you go into Network & Sharing Centre > Change Adaptor settings, what is showing? There should be a Local Area Connection named BTHomehub5-xxxx. (It will also show the adaptor name).There should be no red cross if it is an active connection.

There will also be Wireless Network Connection named BTHomehub5-xxxx (It will also show the adaptor name) If you have disabled it there will be a red cross beside it.

Is this similar to what you have?

0 Ratings